Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 60 EFI FORMULARACE from Mercury Marine

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob,

All the years that we ran 45, Leigh, Gordie, Garrett, your son Johnny( although I didn't build his engines) & a whole bunch of other guys that I built engines for never had this problem either. It's a "starting" technique, not lack of cranking voltage.

John

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John,

I do not disagree with you and I don't recall us having any starting problems back then but in the last few years there seems to be an epidemic of hard starting in the 45 class. I guess all I am saying is I don't see any harm in allowing 24v starting as long as there are no weight changes in the class. Let the drivers decide if they want to go to 24v. For all I know, the quality of the starter motors is at the heart of the issue. From what I have witnessed lately, if you line up 10 boats at least 3 of them won't start or will have delayed starting. I know it is currently popular to run very high fixed timing ( I don't remember us running much over stock timing ) or it may have something to do with the quality of the obama fuel that we are running.

Bob

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob

A very successful west coast team did the high timing thing. We tested it along with larger jets, but ended up probably a degree or 2 over standard timing & jetting very close to factory depending upon conditions. A caveat is that we always used 110 octance gas when we could get it either at a local airport or gas station race fuel.

If they allow the starter/battery upgrade, is it about time that they allow 4 blade props? This will start another whole bunch of posts.

John

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John

Well, I am for the 24v thing because I really think it will turn out to be a cost savings, not an expense, and it will reduce some driver's frustration levels but I wouldn't touch any proposal that required teams to start over with their prop selection. That being said, I am not sure that a 4 blade is better in 45 anyway.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXBOATSHOP View Post
    John

Well, I am for the 24v thing because I really think it will turn out to be a cost savings, not an expense, and it will reduce some driver's frustration levels but I wouldn't touch any proposal that required teams to start over with their prop selection. That being said, I am not sure that a 4 blade is better in 45 anyway.
    I'm new to the commission last year and as RJ crew chief have his ear for most things and have run this class myself since the late 90's. While I'm not opposed to the 24 volt system. I would probably be the first to do it and you don't necessarily need 2 batteries. I don't believe it is the solution to a starter problem. RJ & Scott are correct that new dry cell batteries and maintenance prevent most starting issues. The reason starters are going bad is not weak batteries or armatures. What I believe and have seen is that the magnets are cracking because the way the starters are mounted directs the motor vibrations & shocks directly into the starter body. A 24 volt system will not solve this issue but I'm still not necessarily opposed to it.

As far as 4 blade props, I've been a proponent of this forever. I never understood the reason for it and always get the same argument above. If you don't think they will work better, nobody will have to start over with their prop selection. I'll give you another hint, anybody still using the same props from even 2 years ago is behind.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXBOATSHOP View Post
    John,

I do not disagree with you and I don't recall us having any starting problems back then but in the last few years there seems to be an epidemic of hard starting in the 45 class. I guess all I am saying is I don't see any harm in allowing 24v starting as long as there are no weight changes in the class. Let the drivers decide if they want to go to 24v. For all I know, the quality of the starter motors is at the heart of the issue. From what I have witnessed lately, if you line up 10 boats at least 3 of them won't start or will have delayed starting. I know it is currently popular to run very high fixed timing ( I don't remember us running much over stock timing ) or it may have something to do with the quality of the obama fuel that we are running.

Bob
    is everyone using the $50 chinese ones?
    Vibration will hurt the permanent magnets sure but how much over what time I dont know, maybe need to dig up the old prestolite starters with wound fields in them?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dean,

As far as the 4 blade thing goes - my opinion is not important because no one in my family currently runs the class and probably won't until my 9 year old grandson gets a few more years down the road. If you think there is some interest from the class participants you should propose the rule and call for a driver's vote. Casual observers like myself shouldn't be involved in decisions of this type.

Post Thanks / Like

I have raced 45SS for the last 7yrs and have not had a starter problem. I think a big issue is people using cheap aftermarket starters (not a fan of ARCO)..........I only use genuine OMC starters...........also use a high quality battery and HIGH quality PROPER GAUGE battery cables with soldered cable lugs...........24volts is not going to make those problems go away................but, am not against running a 24v start system....
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The original part # for a 45 starter was 389725, there have been at least 3 supersesions of that part number. I wonder if you are really getting an equivalent piece when you order the superseded part? The only way I would know is if there is a physical difference inside and it doesn't stand up like it used to.

BRF Team Europe Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New kilo world record for the Merc60 in F4s : 73.21 mph.
    Argo Cat 18 - Sold
    Merc 2.4EFI/CLE - Sold

Thread Information