Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 60 EFI FORMULARACE from Mercury Marine

Post Thanks / Like

Ron is correct we are cheaper than the compition

I am a OEM for Tohatsu and we build motors for mercury and Nissan they do not own any part of us as far as i have been told. Up here in Canada we will be using the 50hp tldi as a stock motor class with our thundercat (slt ) Class, Once again a stock class which allows people to go to any local shop by a race rig play with it all week and then go racing on the weekend. No searching for parts or twisting wrenches, other stock motors BRP Merc will be aloud as well, our 50tldi is 205 lbs 35 lbs lighter than BRP. Now this class is a work in progress but i feel it is the only way to bring new blood into our sport.

I also am the North American distributor for Aquarius Inflatables just in case anyone had any questions.

Todd Billinger

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, please clarify ... do you manufacture parts for Tohatsu or sell Tohatsu outboards?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oem

I package them with our aquarius inflatable boats www.aquariusinflatablesna.com , I do not sell motors direct without the purchase of a hull,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I think Mercury owns Tohatsu out right...I just looked up a BRP 50 E-Tec Envinrude $5,700 on line price and 240 pounds.....

no, Merc does not own Tohatsu/Nissan!!!! They just have a vested interest in the small 4stroke outboards up to 30hp...............Tohatsu/Nissan is a very large outboard manufacturer in the world, but the majority of their product is sold overseas!!!

DI technology requires remapping of the ECM for racing purposes..........

SUPPORT Mercury!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without them, racing would die very soon!!!!! They have been supporting boat racing (be it motors or parts) for a LONG time...........****ting on them is NOT the direction you want to go!!! Trust me, there is NOT a huge profit margin (some are at a loss) on the outboard motors they sell for racing.............
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do Tohatsu still sell the range of dfi two strokes in the us?
    EDIT OK yes

A 3 cyl 15" would be perfect as would the same 3 cyl 90 from BRP ( slightly lighter as well )
    You also get cracked caps instead of built up crank with BRP

The tower of power looks very ungainly along with the sound....what sound?
    I might get to see them as the F1 tour is coming to Singapore again

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What would OMC's comment be re viability of the 15 45 and 60SST engine production in hindsight?
    How many of each did they actually sell?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Have Mercury Racing Done For Racing?

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    no, Merc does not own Tohatsu/Nissan!!!! They just have a vested interest in the small 4stroke outboards up to 30hp...............Tohatsu/Nissan is a very large outboard manufacturer in the world, but the majority of their product is sold overseas!!!

DI technology requires remapping of the ECM for racing purposes..........

SUPPORT Mercury!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without them, racing would die very soon!!!!! They have been supporting boat racing (be it motors or parts) for a LONG time...........****ting on them is NOT the direction you want to go!!! Trust me, there is NOT a huge profit margin (some are at a loss) on the outboard motors they sell for racing.............

Sorry Mercguy, but I must have missed it. But what has Mercury Racing done for boat racing in the last 30 years? Mercury Racing is a PROFIT CENTER FOR MERCURY MARINE. I may have missed it, but what have they done for boat racing???

Post Thanks / Like

Default are you blind????????

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Sorry Mercguy, but I must have missed it. But what has Mercury Racing done for boat racing in the last 30 years? Mercury Racing is a PROFIT CENTER FOR MERCURY MARINE. I may have missed it, but what have they done for boat racing???

Mercury Racing (off shore sterndrive engines) is a profit center, but the outboard division is not!!!!! Mercury Outboards has produced the NEW OPTI 200XS and 60 Formula for racing, previously many other SST and CHAMP engines (keeping OPC alive) ........ and in case you haven't noticed on the back of Marlee's boat...........still provides the Merc 15 for J/AX classes, which has shown a resurgence do to Merc providing the motors.................

without Merc, we would definately be doomed!!!

yes, Tohatsu provides a powerhead for use in the D class, but does not manufacture races engines for our use.........

don't knows what your problem with APBA and Mercury is, but you really need to get over it!!!!!!!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well..Merc are still doing the same old trick..and I don't think it is good for racing.

They build an engine to fit a class and don't want any engine competition in the class.

The Optimax 200 for Offshore Class 3C is a purpose build race motor and not a standard in stock production engine..as the role say you must use.
    This is similar to OMC´s FT 19 S..that many Merc people was so upset with.

The 60 Merc Race-Formula Mercury is the same thinking..a Merc only class..
    and Merc do not put any effort in to make the class work
    They just want buyers for the engine and no support for building up the new class..

So Merc do not help Racing..but make a few purpose built engines.
    Maybe it is better they get out of that and everybody use production engines..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marlee's Mercury 15 id a Fishing Motor

We bought an APBA throttle kit, and APBA steering bar and OMC gearcase and we bought a fishing Mercury. No discount from Mercury, no support in any form from Mercury.

Did Rick Mackie send out a release that Collin Rucker won AXS Hydro with a Mercury????

Does Mercury Racing control Offshore Worldwide???? Compare the UIM Offshore Rules with APBA's...Mercury is looking out for Mercury, not boat racing.

The only Mercury Racing ad I saw in the May Propeller was for the Mercury Fishing motor. Jake from Sea Way Marine got that motor up and running with the help of Lynn Williams from Yuma. Not a dime out of Mercury's pocket on this project.

The FormulaRace motor has never raced a heat in APBA Racing.

In Ski Racing in California there are more than 20 Outboards, Mercury doesn't even buy the outboard class trophies....Randy Davis usually does, he builds Nordic Boats.

I'm not going to "GET OVER IT", I'm disgusted with Mercury Racing, I'm disgusted with APBA.

Thread Information