Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 60 EFI FORMULARACE from Mercury Marine

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mercury Racing wrote on Facebook that they won Rouen 24 hours 2011.

Well ..I told Mercury Racing at FB it was not 24 hours..the race was 2 X 6 hours over two days this year..

..No..24 hours.. Merc said again..

After a few days of investigation they found out I was right..

So Merc Racing is not really up to speed in Boat racing anymore..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Doomed From the Start

This Formula Four project was doomed from the start. I really never imagined it would go as bad as it has. That said - lets suppose that they got the molds made and actually had six boats to sell. OK - to "Break Even" the complete rigs would probably be around $22,000 Turn Key on a trailer. Maybe more - I'm just adding up the costs I know of.

So now who buy's this boat - since no one else has one and you need at least four to put on a race. That means that you have to sell at least four of these boats in a close proximity to each other to even stage an event. Does anyone really think that would happen without a lot of additinal help and $$$'s from APBA.

I'm not saying do not do it or support it in some way - however the plan has to be comprehensive - from the start to finish. You have to know exactly where you are at when you start and what your product will look like when your done. I am pretty sure that APBA knew they would have to support the class for some time to get it off the ground - I'm just saying that all of this should have been detailed from the beginning in a written plan for all of the membership to see. This is a substantial undertaking that takes hundreds of volunteer hours to make work. The chance of success in a reasonable amount of time is small - so again everything has to be thought out

What else is there to say - the results of this undertaking three years later speak for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

The boat was not supposed to need any help or support ... just being there with a race ready motor was supposed to make it sell.

The race ready new boat/new motor rig is supposed to be the cure-all for OPC entry level racing that supports all other OPC racing.

The whole Forumla Race concept is based on feedback - from people who said they wanted to race, but there was no new race ready rig for sale in the class they were interested in so they decided not to race boats.

I enthusiastically endorsed the idea because it has to be done in order to prove to some people it won't work. Not doing it leaves them able to say this is the reason for decline.

BUILD THE BOATS, rig the motors and sell them ... its the only way we can know the truth about this theory ...

I bet within 2 years at least half of the motors are in the hands of sport boaters rigged on non race boats.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

When this concept for the Formula Race one design class was brought up. I was asked what my opinion was.
    My idea was to make plans available for the the boat. The capsule could be any approved builders. This way you could build your own boat or get a boat builder to build it for you. Many boats could be built all at the same time when many builders are involved.
    And if you really want communities to be involved, offer the plans at reduced cost to school woodworking shops. There is a lot more to a tunnel boat than woodwork. There is aerodynamics, hydrodynamics and mechanical engineering. It could be a great learning and motivational tool for schools.

As with any one design class a set of templates for the boat would be necessary and should be supplied with the plans.
    Mark N

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solar Boats

I attended a Solar Powered Boat race where there were 42 teams, all one designed boat....and the same day, in the next county was a Solar Powered Boat Race with 32 teams....That was the race that I thought I was going to...74 High School teams racing ONE DESIGNED BOATS......Amazing...Teachers, students everywhere trying to get speed...13 MPH got in the race, 17 MPH would win it!

Mark, what do you feel a capsule should cost for this class? AND do you think you could use less expensive materials if weight was not a concern???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I attended a Solar Powered Boat race where there were 42 teams, all one designed boat....and the same day, in the next county was a Solar Powered Boat Race with 32 teams....That was the race that I thought I was going to...74 High School teams racing ONE DESIGNED BOATS......Amazing...Teachers, students everywhere trying to get speed...13 MPH got in the race, 17 MPH would win it!

Mark, what do you feel a capsule should cost for this class? AND do you think you could use less expensive materials if weight was not a concern???
    I'm not an expert in cost for capsule materials. But I don't think it should be out of the question that schools could build (and have tested) there own capsules. Young minds have a way of coming up with very good ideas.
    Mark N

Post Thanks / Like

Default My A.D.D. Kicks In...

I was really thinking of selling them a CAPSULE.......but one that would be made with out vacuum bags and over the counter materials.

I'm having a capsule built for my MOD VP, it won't have a bottom, as the boat bottom will be the bottom...

I was thinking that on say, a SPORT C/FAT C boat that maybe the bottom of the capsule could be half inc plywood..
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-07-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I was really thinking of selling them a CAPSULE.......but one that would be made with out vacuum bags and over the counter materials.

I'm having a capsule built for my MOD VP, it won't have a bottom, as the boat bottom will be the bottom...

I was thinking that on say, a SPORT C/FAT C boat that maybe the bottom of the capsule could be half inc plywood..
    Well, the bottom of my capsule in my Sport C is now two layers of 4mm with two to three layers of carbon fiber on the top. Very strong.
    Mark N

Post Thanks / Like

Default So, How Much For A Sport C Capsule???

Ernie Dawe built me this Fat C, which will probably be a Sport C....The reinforced cockpit is not complete as we were going to finish that after rigging...

What I like about this boat, though it has never been in the water, is the fact that it is almost as wide as it is long...For an INTRODUCTORY CLASS a wide boat seems to me to be a necessity, as you don't want new people turning over.

So, 4MM plywood and two layers of carbon is as strong as how much plywood??? Half inch? 3/4 inch??? can you compare the two??
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can compare the two. When you laminate two layers of 4mm plywood together it would be as strong or stronger than 8mm thick plywood. Then add three layers of carbon fiber and the strength goes higher. I have Sam LaBanco help me with all the engineering for everything like this. He's the guy to talk to about engineering on tunnel boats!
    Mark N

Thread Information