Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 60 EFI FORMULARACE from Mercury Marine

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

how does the Merc 60 starter compare re costs?

Perhaps we should ask Arco or someone like that to build a carcass to suit the 45 from a bigger engine so it might have enough power at a lower voltage?
    A geared starter would do that very well

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So do you guys run 2, 12 volt battery's or just 1. We have the same problem in 60 & 120 with 24 volt. If you want to change the rule, petition the drivers in the class. It will go thru. I'm all for what the drivers want. Never knew this was a problem. Thanks

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave hensel View Post
    So do you guys run 2, 12 volt battery's or just 1. We have the same problem in 60 & 120 with 24 volt. If you want to change the rule, petition the drivers in the class. It will go thru. I'm all for what the drivers want. Never knew this was a problem. Thanks
    Our rule currently says "one nominal 12v battery" I was a commissioner two years ago and presented it at the meeting and it didnt pass, so yor probably right about the drivers, however most of them dont want to put 7 more pounds in their boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 45sst45 View Post
    Our rule currently says "one nominal 12v battery" I was a commissioner two years ago and presented it at the meeting and it didnt pass, so yor probably right about the drivers, however most of them dont want to put 7 more pounds in their boat!
    Lots of lightweight battery options for a second battery or go with two light weight batteries. They are more expensive then the traditional battery but still a cost effective.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well, I agree that it should be up to the drivers, I guess I don't see why it wouldn't pass. It is a pretty simple system and a solution to what I think is a big problem in the class. As you all know, all of the V-6 classes run 24 volts starting systems and they really are not a problem and are very cost effective.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

RJ. I still hold the world record for a new rule to be shot down by OPC. I think its was like 1.2 seconds an all time record that still stands today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave hensel View Post
    RJ. I still hold the world record for a new rule to be shot down by OPC. I think its was like 1.2 seconds an all time record that still stands today.
    What did you propose to the OPC Commission? I was OPC Chairman in 1999. In those days you appointed your Commissioners. I appoint 14 "Friends". I appointed Norm Schaub Chief Referee. Norm and I had raced against each other for years in D Runabout and we both believed that the OPC Over lap rule (Cockpit to Cockpit) needed to be changed. So, my first "AGENDA" item was over laps. the meeting is in Florida, start time 8:00 A.M. Florida time (5:00 A.M.) California time. Norm makes a motion to discuss the overlap rule. No one seconds it. I plead, wake up everyone, we have work to do. Someone seconds it. Without getting my mouth open, and anyone who knows me, knows it ain't closed very often, someone makes a motion to leave the Over Lap rule as it. Instantly it was seconded. Question was called. By 8:10 my NUMBER ONE AGNDA item had failed on a 13 to 1 vote. I thought, this is going to be a LONG DAY!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

change to 24v and lift the class min weight?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    change to 24v and lift the class min weight?
    The weight doesnt need to be raised... my brother weighs 205 and he puts 35 lbs. in his boat and I have 80 lbs. in mine! Alot of the 10 plus year old boats are the ones that are closer on weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Arguing With 45SST45 but Your Brother Weighs More that 205.

Quote Originally Posted by 45sst45 View Post
    The weight doesn't need to be raised... my brother weighs 205 and he puts 35 lbs. in his boat and I have 80 lbs. in mine! A lot of the 10 plus year old boats are the ones that are closer on weight.
    Having said the Warren weighs more than 205, I think to bring this rule to a vote, maybe offering to raise th weight to 725 would be worth the effort.

Having said that, I know that even Chad Hill carried weight in his 45. So, I agree with 45SST45 that the weight doesn't need to be increased.

Thread Information