Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ron Hill Has Not Left The Building 2005-2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mirage #1 is Done Boat 30

Mirage number 1 is done. Need to rig it....We have two fresh gearcases from Apple Valley Marine and one NEW CLE that is "TOP SECRET". Two boats, four powerheads, four gearcases. We ought to finish a few laps, as we have lots of stuff to tear up! Mirage #1 is boat 30 Mirage #2 is boat Number 9. Mike Quindazzi and Chad are driving number one, number two is going to be driven by Randy Pierson of Avon Marine, Avon, Minnesota, and Chad Hill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Didn't Really "FIX" the Yamato 302, But It Runs

My dad always kept my brother's and my motors running like a "SONG". Sometimes, something might have gone wrong and I'd want to grad a mag or fuel pumps off another motor. My dad said, "Don't touch that other motor. Change the whole motor"...Then, he'd tell the story about a guy that once loaned a gearcase off his motor, some borrowed the mag. Someone needed a starter and by the end of the weekend there was no motor as every piece had been "BORROWED".

Last week when we could not get Marlee's Yamto to run, I told Grg Foster we'd just grab a mag off one of the other motors. She said, "Don't do it. Fix that mag."

Well, the motor ran well tonight, but I didn't "FIX IT" I snagged a mag off another motor. But............I agree with Greg and my dad. Fix it when it is broken is best.....

We also helped test the Sea Witch Marine Sleek Craft with the 250 Yamaha Four Stroke....That motor is an "ANIMAL"...The plated "BIG JOHN" added helped settle that boat down.

I am such a good photographer, who else could get two ****ters in one picture???

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Mirage is Off to Parker To Test.

I now have two B and H C Hydros....

The Mirage is off to Parker to test..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, I Bought Another Boat and Engine

I just bought this Mirage. Seemed to run pretty well....Think I'll leave the cooler in it. I also bought this 300XS....Cat likes it too! Something cool happened. Chad plugged his radio headset into his phone and called his wife during the race, while he was driving. I can see it now...you call your wife and ask, "What place am I in and what's for dinner?"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker 1978 7 Hour Winner

1978 Parker 7 Hour winner: Fred Hauenstein and Ron Hill
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 08-28-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

side shot of the 16p

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've Been Busy...

Well, I bought this safe and Chad measured the door opening at 42" and the safe at 40". Trouble was, we didn't figure the door in the equation: As a result, be need a new front door!

Nothing money can't fix. The price of my safe keeps going UP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brass 1935 Chris Craft Gearcase

ANy information about this gearcase I bought on E-Bay??

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10 1/4 X 16 and 10 1/4 X 20 Choppers With Removeable Hub Kits

First two out of the molds. Working on some 10 1/2 diameter ones, too!

Of course, I have 11 inch diameter 17-21 three and four blades semi cleavers...too!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do A Ron Hill Boat Racer Google Search

http://www.boatsport.org/magpdf/a70.pdf

When I was racing "HARD" I never saw one of Tim Chance's "Hydroplane Quarterly". I really feel bad that APBA and NOA didn't join forces in those years.

From the point of view of a SMALL OUTBOARDER, I feel the US TITLE Series is on the right track for growth.

Reading MY history, I think we looked to APBA to "DO SOME THING". (Big government can help us)

Anyway, it was great to read about my 1970 D Runabout National Championships. I had no plans to go to Beloit, Wisconsin, 1970 for the Nationals. I was scheduled to race Paris, France and Berlin West Germany in October.

My twin Engine Ron Jones was in Waukegan, Illinois getting fitted with two NEW Evinrudes for the Havasu City Outboard World Championships.

So, I felt I had a "Full Plate" for racing. My "Starter Wife's" parent lived in Janesville, Wisconsin 20 miles from Beloit. She told me they were giving PTO (Person Time Off) in August from her job at TWA, and maybe we should take a trip. I said, "Let's go see your folks."

At this time I had 2-55-H motors and two props and no boat. But I had built a boat for the Weatherby, they owned a furniture owner in Needles (I traded them a boat for a couch). I called the Weatherby's and asked If I could borrow the runabout I built.

I showed up in Beloit, never having driven this borrowed boat. I set it up, took two practice laps, came in and kicked it under two hacksaw blades. (I used hacksaw blades at the top fo the transom to kick it under, a hacksaw blade at the bottom of the clamps will kick it out.)

I didn't run the boat again until the qualifiers, of which I won straight heats.

I only brought 10 gallons of gas from California, so I didn't test after the qualifiers.

As it turned out, I started last both heats, and by lap three of four, I was leading both heats. The boat's name was "Bounty Hunter". (Jeff Weatherby's name for the boat). The boat ran like an "ARROW", I was the first Stock Outboard driver to ever win a championships wearing a fire proof driver's suit.

The win was the most impressive of the 1970 Nationals, as no one else started last, both heats and then won both heats.

Charlie Strang, then President of OMC, told me he designed the Mark 55-H but never dreamed the motor could perform that well. He wanted to know what kind of boat I was driving. I told him a "Borrowed Boat" but that my dad and I had built it. Charlie asked me if I could build a tunnel? I said yes. He said come by OMC on Monday and have Jack Leek give you a check for a new tunnel.

In inspection "HB" Harold Berghauer said, "I know you don't know how to take this motor apart, I'll help you." Harold and my dad were "GREAT" friend....So, Harold is taking "MY" motor apart...I say, "Harold, what does Edgar Rose want to see in my magnito?" Oh, nothing...I was just "LOOKING"....A few minutes later Harold has my carburetors apart...Harold I say, "What does Edgar Rose want to see in my carburators?" Harold says, "Nothing, I'm just looking".

I want to thank Tim Chance for publishing Hydroplane Quarterly and thank him for including Stock Outboard Racing.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-19-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Thread Information