Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BU Drivers...

Post Thanks / Like

Default BU Drivers...

I always felt this BU was the turning point in my racing HISTORY.

My dad and I built this boat during Easter Week when I was in college in Arizona...In those days I stayed out much later than I do now....but every morning My OLD MAN had me up at 7 to work on this boat for Carl Myers....

Some morning I could not tell a table saw from a drill press...but by Friday we were painting her...

I raced her a time or two that year in BU...Then we headed for the Stock nationals in Beaver Falls, PA...Carl drove the BU to a Divisional win, but on the trip to PA was involved in ahead on accident in Nebraska....and was in the hospital, lucky to be alive at the the time of the Nationals...

My dad and mom and me went on to Beaver, after picking up the pieces of wrecked boats in Nebraska... I qualified this BU..and finished 4th in the finals...

When Charlie Strang went to weigh me in, I got on the scales, with jacket and helmet I weighed like 255.....BU weight was like 355....Charlie looking at the boat and engine....and told Edgar Rose, don't weigh Ron's boat...I know the 20-H weighs almost 100 pounds...

It was right after that that Charlie started listing to my "CRAZY" ideas...I went on to break the ARR runabout record with this boat...

This picture was at Sparks, Nevada, 1966...I was running a BU with the B Alkies...I got second...(A BIG MONEY RACE in those days....but the lake was smaller than most mall parking lots...).

Mercguy: Note the fin!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron, I always like your stories about Charlie and Ann Strang. I'm hope there are more to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, Remember this guy in a BU. Mr 6B, Clark Maloof. I'm happy to say it was my wake that he was in. Actually he was 2B in this pic.

Bill Rosado

ps - thanks for the kind words on the other site.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one of me in the boat he was chasing in the above pic.

Bill Rosado
    Likes hedlundracing liked this post

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Those sure were the days of crankcase welding, it wasn't the motor, it was the water!

I loved watching BU or later BSR with your runabouts. I would not know who in the world would want to be in the front passenger well of a BU anytime! BU and later BSR probably claimed more crankcases and blocks hydraliced and even repaired with welding by dumping than any other class of raceboat? We seen some neat runabouts, some drifted turns where others like the Cooper Seabird Specials we had here, banked up on their sides around corners with their special bottom fin configurations were sure neat in their days. Ther were and still are some aluminum BUs around in racig families garages. A very enjoyable class to have watched in great numbers back in the 1960s and 70s for our family back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Of Course...

Of course, CLOCK (CLARK) Maloof would argue he had both knees on the floor boards...Kind of like the time Ted May got stopped by the Coast Guard. The Dude asked him for his fire Extinguisher...Ted unzipped his pants and told the Coast Guard Dude, "I've got a two quart extinguisher, right here..." He still got the ticket!!!

Chris Wilde....Names sounds like...Oh, Steve Wilde's brother...Pam Wilde's uncle!!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-24-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knees

Yes, I thought you would like thst shot. But of course his knees were on the floor board.

Reminds me of the time Clark was about to win the John & Flora Blank award in 65. We were at Southbury,Ct. Scotty Neal had just moved out this way and showed up there. On Saturday, Scotty got the start and Clark and I passed him on both sides going to the first turn like he wasn't even there.

On Sunday, Scotty had left and gone home. Someone told me he'd be back when he could beat us. I retired before he ever came back. Anyway, Clark starts ramming me down the straights and the referee throws him out. Well Clark needed the points to hit 10,000, so I go to the referee and ask him why he threw Clark out. When he tells me he was ramming me, I tell him that he never touched me and they must have been mistaken. Of course, everyone could hear wood cracking all the way down the straight. Anyway, after about five minutes of argueing with them, they finally reinstated Clark. Clark and I were the best of friends and the fiercest competitors on the water. We used to enjoy ramming each other back then. The referees finally left us alone as long as we weren't ramming anyone else. I bought the first Clarkraft that he made to sell. Back then, everyone was buying Larry Castignetto boats, but I liked Clark's boats better. It took me a whole season to talk my old man into letting me get a Clarkraft instead of a Castacraft.

Bill Rosado

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glenn Mac Donald

This is Glenn Mac Donald...from Manteca, California..what is interesting, to me, is that Steve Wilde took the picture.....the same Steve Wilde that races today....

Isn't this a Clark Craft, also???

Post Thanks / Like

Default BU Drivers...............

Let's not forget Stover Hire, Bob Trolian, (both masters), Chic Ludwig, for you guys in the south, Ray Hammond, Tommy Nuccio...... the list goes on and on. If anyone has pictures of the guys mentioned, please post them. They are all great guys........and dedicated racers.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default We Ain't Forgetting No One!!!!

But who are these BU guys???

56-H was Stover...
    Likes hedlundracing liked this post

Thread Information