Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy with a project

Post Thanks / Like

i would do a psi test on it after the slow down.Are you mixing or using the vro? that motor is prone to scuffing pistons.As for the rev limit is 6200 and it wont shut you down but the over heat system will it called S.L.O.W speed limit overheat warning If you get your motor hot this will slow you down and try and save it`s self after it cools down it will reset and you are off and running again but if the heat sender is fried it will trip it in to slow.This is one of the other reason`s we use the older ing system no rev limit and no slow but you`ll cook it for sure if your not careful .i use the same motor to run swamps for duck hunting It has new reeds bigger carbs and i jetted&timed it also used the pancake flywheel and running a 17pitch viper from omc and it will turn 6000 if i need it to

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Detroit. Pre-mixing. Can you please explain the psi test. I need to put my fuel pressure tester right after the fuel pump to see what it is doing?

What causes a scuffed piston, how can you recognize this issue, and how do you resolve it? I think I will leave the limiter alone; hopefully it will keep me from burning up my motor if something were to ever happen.

I am buying a new set of 70hp carburetors next weekend with new reed cages and intake. Can I just buy a new intake gasket and swap the whole setup over? What sytle reeds do you use?

What kind of boat are you running and what speeds are you getting out of it? Are you in Trenton Georgia?

Post Thanks / Like

the scuffing can happen with heat or lack of fuel.The 56cu blocks in that time frame had cooling issues there is actually a service bulletin on that.If you are running the vro pump still i would be careful the fuel isnt what it used to be and the diaphram is attacked and this will cause the lack of fuel you can use a standard pump they are more reliable.I should have side compression test all three should be with in 10lbs of each other if one is low pull the head off and check for damage or gasket failure.I run a 3cly on my race rig and used one up untill april on my 20 lund tyee and the set up would run around 35mph i have since switched up to a 115di tiller it makes a better set up.

Thread Information