Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 25hp 2 stroke 3 cylinder Johnson

Hybrid View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 25hp 2 stroke 3 cylinder Johnson

Question, I am brand new to the forum so I hope someone may be able to help out. I have a 1996 25hp 2 stroke 3 cylinder Johnson that I converted to as 35HP this winter. They made this exact same motor in a 35hp version, except it was a long shaft. We bored it, put 35hp pistons and 25hp carburator jets in it and a set of boyseen reeds. Used all OEM Johnson (OMC) parts in the conversion (except for the reeds). I am finally through the break in period (double the oil mixture for 15 gallons of fuel) and ready to see how's it is going to do on 50:1 and a new set of plugs. I use this boat for duck hunting, 1548 seaark semi-V aluminum flat bottom. Typical Arkansas duck boat set up. I do not race per say, well I guess we do race (sort of) at 4:00am in the morning on Arkansas public duck hunting land. I am competing with the 2 stroke 3 cyl. Suzuki's and Tahatsu's. I noticed they are "higher" geared, example 1.92:1 for the Tahatsu. My Johnson is 2.15:1, is there such thing as an aftermaket gear set for this model Johnson to get it closer to the Tahatsu ratio? Sorry to be so long winded.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the gearing, but in your mentioning of motors you are contending with, you forgot the second most important motor aside from the Tohatsu mega and that is the 3 cyl yamaha 25.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeap your right! Those too! Hunted out of a boat last year (1648 War Eagle) with a 2 stroke 3 cyl Yami mod'd out. Fast!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

If you have bored the motor, more CI, check the plugs when you switch to the 50:1,
    You mentioned the 25hp jets. My .02

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuelblndr,
    I put a new set in after the break in of 25:1 fuel. Is that what you meant by check the plugs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default rejet

I'm pretty sure he meant to check to see if your too lean. You may want to consider putting bigger jets in if you increased the bore size and made the intake track more efficient with aftermarket reeds.
    Just my thought.

Thread Information