Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSH or C Mod Sid Craft

Post Thanks / Like

Default DSH or C Mod Sid Craft

As Alan mentioned in his mark 40H thread w'e recently dug out of our storage facility a nice example of a Sid Craft hydroplane. According to John Scubert it could have been a DSH or a C Mod boat. It is a short sponson 11' 2" boat. There were no decks on the boat when we purchased it a few years ago and it looks like it was being taken aprart to be used as a pattern boat. Also a previous owner started to make it into a pickle fork boat but thankfully stopped short of the first rib. Looks like the original colors were natural varnish and dark red. We will be restoring the fine boat over the next few month with progress pictures along the way.

Here are a few of pictures as we secured the boat to our working deck.

David Van Weele
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Progress on the Sid Craft

I have strared the restoration of the D Sid. I have rebuit the front rib, installed a reinforcement to the rear rib, installed some of the battens for the fabric deck and installed a new dash brace. I have found all old hardware in our collection of parts including a nice Kainer steering wheel. I also found an old Keller solid Alum. wheel and was wondering which would be correct. Alan's Waldman boat is a twin to this boat and it has a red Keller Alum wheel.

Attached are some pictures of the progress, it does not look like much has been done but cleaning the boat is taking a lot of time.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on Sid Craft restoration

I have finished the bottom, sponson and chines and I am now working on the top side. New side decks and cowl have been install. The cockpit has been fit with a floor board and the first coat of dope as been applied to the fabric front deck. Only 15 more coats to go. Then I will varnish the side decks and install the kneeling pad. Here are a few pictures of the progress.

Post Thanks / Like

That one is going to be pretier than when it was built. Looking good!
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sid restore

David will you bring the finished hydro to a AOMCI meet even if not water tested? If done in time there is Lake Sheen in Orlando on Sep 17, Tremble Park in Mt Dora on Oct 14-15 and Lake Shipp in Winter Haven on Nov 18-19.

So far a nice looking restore

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you are doing a great job. Sid hydros are really nice looking boats. Looking forward to seeing it completely restored.

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Where was the boat found?

The red sure looks like Berghauer red and they had a fleet of Sids. They had a white chevron on the wood deck with the fabric painted all red. It was a simple design but cool as hell. Yes, they ran some short sponson Sids. The most famous had to be " The Aqua Kid". Dave Procnow was the last to own her, he married Harolds' youngest daughter.

They ran the Aqua Kid well into the 80's with a 30H and it was still winning a lot of races.
    It didn't turn the best but was really fast. It was really neat to see that old girl outrun new pickle forks.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sid Craft

Alan and I have owned the Sid for about four years. We purchased the boat along with many others from Len Lupton. Other than that I know nothing of the history. Someone before Len was tring to make a pickle fork but they did not get to far thank goodness. They only cut back through the first rib. I was able to shim and screw the sponson back together and fill the void with a thickened mix of West System. I had to replacel the decks, floor board and the fabric.

I believe this boat had the gold decals, I have white decals but I wiould like to put it back as it was originally. The red on the cockpit sides I did but the red along the bow was original and I did see the red under what looked like overspray that was every where on the boat.

Thanks
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nealy complete

I am just waiting to determine which is the correct decal, either the gold or the white. The 55H is one I had Doug Kay do for me a few years back.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see an old boat getting this much care. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information