Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSH or C Mod Sid Craft

Post Thanks / Like

Default We really enjoy working on the old ones

Thanks Sam for the kind words. I really enjoy the challenge of getting these back on the water. You never know where you will go with one of these projects specially if you try to get them back to look original. I still had a couple of the old APBA decals left so I used on the project. When we purchased the hull it did not look like it could be used for anything but patterns. But as they say in football after further review it is a touchdown.

David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

old rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, David.
    My first C hydro looked just like it, In bright yellow. Makes me want to go for a ride...
    You have to post some pictures of the test ride!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Larry

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What type and weight of fabric was used. Where do you get Dope by bulk.???

Beautiful job. Looks better than my model airplane wings!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fabric and Airplane Dope

I used Ceconite normal weight, not the light used on ultra lights nor the heavy used on planes that fly over 200MPH. All of the supplies were purchased from Aircraft Spruce and Supply in Atlanta. I used 3/4 quart of clear (green), about 1/2 Qt of the premixed Aluminum UV protectant, and since red was going to be my top coat about 1/3 Qt white to make red or yellow pop out in color, and 3/4 qt of red. You also need a heating iron and a good thermometer to calibrate the iron to 240 degrees. I used about 1 yard of 72 inch wide fabric and 12 feet of 3/4" and 10 feet of 2" tape. I also purchased the book of instructiions and a Tyvek suit since all but the first coat is sprayed on. You also have to purchase thinners and reducers. Since I also wanted to spray red on the wood decks I purchsed from them a quart of the epoxy varnish and beaneth I used an exopy filler. Do not use Bondo or anything else except epoxy below the dope.

To get the shine the same as the rest of the boat I used West Marines varnish made by Epipephane (Sp?).
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Job....

Two or three questions, or statements:

1. If memory serves me well, like I think it does, this was called a Short Sponsons Sid? Right?

2. I know we added up right plywood supports to my brother's Sid after he cracked the combings. Were those up right pieces of 4 X 12 X 1/4 plywood original?

3. I need to get you a round ear prop. Either a 7 1/4 X 12 Cary that Jimbo has.....He might part with it. Or a Michigan. Few ran a Kamic in D Hydro, except me. No one ran a Kamic on a Short Sponson Sid.

I probably won't see Jimbo til January, but I will "HIT HIM UP" to give me the Cary I gave him!!!

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sid HYdro

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Two or three questions, or statements:

1. If memory serves me well, like I think it does, this was called a Short Sponsons Sid? Right?

2. I know we added up right plywood supports to my brother's Sid after he cracked the combings. Were those up right pieces of 4 X 12 X 1/4 plywood original?

3. I need to get you a round ear prop. Either a 7 1/4 X 12 Cary that Jimbo has.....He might part with it. Or a Michigan. Few ran a Kamic in D Hydro, except me. No one ran a Kamic on a Short Sponson Sid.

I probably won't see Jimbo til January, but I will "HIT HIM UP" to give me the Cary I gave him!!!
    Definitely a short sponson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sid Craft Hydro

John is correct it is what is commonly called a short sponson design. The upright pieces in the cockpit appear to be original. Someone had removed some so I had to make a few replacement pieces. The original had the same anchor fast nails and resorcinol glue as the rest of the boat. The ones that were missing left a definant imprint on the cockpit sides.

I have a nice two blade Kamic that was reworked by Ted Lewis and a couple of Cary bronze C props but no D Cary props.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Is The Length?

Jimbo and I talked about this boat yesterday. His 1964, Short Sponson Sid DSH was 11 foot on the money. He has pictures of it, and he looked, his didn't have the up rights supports on the cockpit, but were agreed they were needed.

My dad sold at least a dozen Sid out here, we (Jimbo and I) are wondering if this wasn't an "ALKY" boat, because the darker wood was heavier than the lighter wood. BUt then again, my 1965 Sid had dark wood. The DeSilva brothers always put serial numbers in the their boats, wish Sid's would have had them...

Would you post a picture of the bottom, like maybe the last 24 inches????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sid Craft

The boat is 11' 3" from the bow to the furthest back of the motor board. I made a mistake about the uprights. They were screwed and glued not nailed. The screws were brass like the rest of the boat. I have attached a couple of more pictues. In the cockpit picture you can see a print of Alan's Sid he purchased a number of years back from Kirby Pabst. It is the same dimensions as the red boat but does not have the upright pieces in the cockpit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information