Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Laser LTV vs 380 Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Laser LTV vs 380 Ray

I am kicking around the idea of picking up an older Laser hull as a project and am somewhat torn between the LTV and 380 Ray. I realize that difference in bottom design between the two, the LTV being a ModVp style tunnel with a center pod, and the 380 being a pad-vee.

My question more lies with rough water ride and acceleration. Either I plan to set up with two inline buckets, center steer. The boat will be used for fun, no official racing etc (yet!). Which accelerates better given the same power? How about handling typical "lake chop" What kind of speeds with a properly set up 200-225hp motor can be achieved with each?

Thanks
    '84 Laser LTV
    '77 Caribbean Jet 460 BBF

LLANOS Racing Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Great idea and project!!
    my first race boat was a LTV, we won the 2010 world river championship, well.. just the first stage of it.. no money for the next stages... there is a huge amount of difference with the 380 to the LTV, it was an awsome improvement by Sommerford!. and from the LTV to the STV, he jumped hyperspeed for improvement the design but that's other subject...
    What the 380 has against the LTV is its pad- vee making it a un - nervous boat the LTV can tend to be a little more inestable and to make you feel out of the edge of control. but that's not true at all..
    comparing a 380 Laser of Texas against the LTV with a Mariner 2.0 L using a Cleaver 14.5 x 25 in both, using gps and rpm's the LTV won every test, in acceleration it increased way more 'cause it's tunnels although it did'nt flew over the sponsons, there was enough air entrapment to make the necesary lift, increasing it dramatically as max speed than the 380, this using two persons inline weighting 70-80 kilos, center steer, fuel tank of 100liters, max speed ws 68mph with just one person 72mph in a really good chop, not flat water... the LTV and 380 both I believe behave better with a little bit of chop when into handling and maneubravility, i would say the 380, the ltv for it's tunnels you would say it turns like a rail but it does'nt it just keeps sweeping to the left or to the right, unless you put the sponson on to the water and easily you get into a really nasty turn if you dont feel the boat.
    altough i've seen laser 380's get into nasty barrel rolls and spins and that! with its V hull, and I've also know of the LASER 380 here in Mexico has the world river championship tittle of 2010.. so it's also a pretty good hull for upstream /downstream rivers class 2 and 3 and a good responsive boat... if it's your first speed toy.. then opt for the 380, if you feel confortable at high speeds and a little nervous boat then LTV

by the way, sorry i'm not comparing it with a 200hp motor as you specified but hope it helps, with more horse power obviously the LTV in a straight beats the 380 by far, but with turns and reacelerations...
    i still opt for the LTV... but why not get a STV??..once u try STV you don't want any other boat!

Post Thanks / Like

putting twins on the offset transom "built wide enough for 1 " on the ltv would be a chore
    also the ltv with 1 single dead on the water has water line at rubrail
    so extra weight will be a factor there
    then at higher speeds the extra weight on transom will raise bow,,,not good with a tunnel
    and every 1 that knows a ltv will tell u
    over 90 will go over if not set up right ,,,or trimmmed out,,,into wind,,,ect
    cause of the closed bow tunnel trapping air
    boat was built for mod vp at 80 max

shop here built them boats after roarke quit making them
    i made a couple for myself for drags
    so learned them well,,,,made bottom changes to make more stable
    and disopate air better

if want a fun boat,staying below 80,,the ltv is a good 1
    put on a 15"mid and stock 2.5 200
    and it will fly and be stable with the lower center of gravity of the 15"mid
    stock 2.5 200 will pull it to the 80 range withease
    and will out perform the 2 old inlines even with the theory of 2 props
    with no mods to hull and all the rigging,steering,ect.

so feeling the boat is a must at higher speeds,,,,,,,bow down,,,
    and boat stays as designed and balanced for

also agree picking up a 84 up stv
    are different as night and day,,,,,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info!

Post Thanks / Like

After YEARS of of dreaming about owning an outboard, and spending hours researching on this site I am proud to say that I am the new owner of an '84 Laser LTV. I have to give HUGE thanks to Casey (cptunnel) for making the whole thing happen. I own you man

Plans are to finish the floor, the previous owner stripped out the old floor and included all the materials to finish the new floor. Once the floor is done I am going to finish sanding and then repaint the boat (most likely all white).

Going to convert it from side steer to center steer with two inline buckets.

The motor that is on the boat now is actually getting sold. Its an older Johnson 150.

I plan to repower with another OMC of some sort, but have not yet decided on exactly what. How will an LTV run with a Looper 225 or Crossflow 235?

Can anyone recommend a good dual cable steering set up for one of these?

Many more questions to come I am sure, in the meantime onto the pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Get on facebook look up Book Brothers Marine and you can see the pictures of an LTV we just restored. We have the interior getting done now so there will be more pics at the end of the month

Post Thanks / Like

I have owned both a 380-R and a LTV. oved them both. The LTV was faster but could not compare with the ride of the 380 in rough water. Truth is the LTV will beat your brains out. It was built for short closed coarse racing and did that very well. For a family boat i would go with the 380.
    I see you already have bought a LTV so have fun and keep the nose down.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dabull1919 View Post
    I see you already have bought a LTV so have fun and keep the nose down.

DB
    Thanks man, I still (and will always) have my heavy jet boat for family duties.

Thread Information