Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enough is Enough.....Or How Stupid Are We?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Enough is Enough.....Or How Stupid Are We?

It really started at the NASCAR race in Sonama when Laurie and I were shopping for wine in this "Up Scale" market....They advertised ORGANICALLY fed, "Air Cooled" chickens. Of course, these chickens were 2-3 bucks a pound more than just DEAD CHICKENS....

Two weeks ago, I go to lunch with my brother and my son Chad. They order burgers. I order a turkey burger. They get their lunch, eat and I wait. When the TURKEYBURGER came it looked more like fried oatmeal cookie and taste worse than an oatmeal cookie..

So, last week, we're at a fraternity reunion, in the hotel they have a bottle of SOLAR WATER. What the hell is Solar Water?

Then, in the shower they had ORGANIC SOAP. What the hell? You mix cow manure when you mix the soap.

But then I'm home, I go to have a bagel. The bagels are flatter than a Nun's chest. I call them bagel-less Bagels...A bagel isn't supposed to be as flat as a pancake, is it???

FYI:

A solar power boat is really powered by a battery. They charge the batter with a charger.....The solar energy comes to about 1/2 % of the power. The rest of the Solar Powered Boat is powered by petroleum fuel.

How much energy does a Prius batter use to be made? How much energy will it take to dispose of these batteries?

I thin Americans, in general, are really stupid!!! Solar Water!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-05-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Ron....how do you think those battery powered cars are recharged at night? Not by solar panels. I guess somebody who works the night shift could use solar energy to recharge their electric car, but they're not very many available commercial solar companies, and those that exist can only keep their doors open with taxpayers footing the bill, and the lavish union pension retirement funds.

I once was looking at replacing our propane fueled forklift with an electric one. The salesman asked, do you use it only inside. no I told him. Do you work it all day long. No I said again. He told me that electric powered forklifts were made for working all day long in an enclosed environment where exhaust fumes could become a problem. He said "Believe me....you DO NOT want an electric forklift. In five or six years you will have to replace the batteries, and you have to replace all at the same time. That will cost more than half the price of the forklift. We kept our 50 year old propane powered forklift.

When the people that bought the electric cars at taxpayers expense find out how much it will cost to replace their batteries, they will be hollering for the politicians to give them cash for new batteries.

Everything I eat is organic. When I was just a young kid, every now and then I would eat some inorganic mud pies, but nowadays I only eat dirt in a dust storm on a drilling location. It's when the label shouts out that something is Organic that I shy away from it. In my opinion Organic means government bull$#!7 control and labeling. I guarantee that if the federal government could recieve $1.00 in tax per every cigarette sold, they would let the company advertise "Safe, Healthy Organic Cigarettes". Can you imagine Ron what Organic tofu must taste like?

BTW, I really do like solar water. It makes the grass and plants and vegetable grow better than city or well water. Solar water=rain!

Post Thanks / Like

That and the Chevy Volts are prone to catch FIRE ... just a minor problem ...
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

bill boyes

well,In my past life before I retired I was a big shot for a major airline. Not really a big shot but one of those guys that made things happen. We had many electric bag tugs and belt loaders. Of course they would not run 24/7 as they needed down time for charging. About every two years the lead acid battery needed to be replaced at about $4500 ea. Really no savings in operation cost but the airline would get big atta boy credits from the local airport stiffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Give the entire story

Sam
    From what I have read there were two cases of a Volt catching on fire after an accident. This reminds me of the Ford Pinto and some other cars catching on fire after an accident.

David

PS I have no desire to own an electric car and later today I am off to Sebring for a test day with our Corvette. Last week at Daytona we had a great two days of testing.
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

It seems the most green thing about going green is green backed. would be if it started making sense like simple easily maintainable safe vehicles that get mileage. The modern Model T.... made here! Solar panels are fine for stationary direct use but batteries have a long way to go before they can be considered an answer for mobility.

Post Thanks / Like

I question the long term reliability of current solar systems for their payback dollar.

From what I understand they still do not have very high long term reliability numbers that people expect from domestic appliances.

If you have calculated a 30 year payback and the equipment only works reliably for 19 ... you are in the hole for 35%. Not only are the power generating cells themselves a little short, so are some other components like the inverters and some of the automated switching. One loose screw/connector out of 1,000 can ruin your budget.

Additionally ... pieces that fail will not just cost their material cost ... there will be labor costs as well.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

From some that have this I hear good & bad, The Northeast isn't the best solar area for one. Locally tho solar installations are a fast growing industry. In my case a couple large oaks shade my roof in the summer & allow sunlight thru all winter. I wouldn't want to cut 'em for solar.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's look at this...........Initial cost, performance and distance able to travel, parts replacement costs, normal maintanence...................points, plugs, and condenser doesn't sound so bad now, do they.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

We all know how to do that don't we Charley?

The first new car I ever bought was a 1972 Ford LTD, loaded.

It cost $3,800.00. I could fix anything on it.

Oh, did I mention it was yellow with a black vinyl top?

Imagine that!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thread Information