Thread: Build Thread - Dillon Mini VEE

Hybrid View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Build Thread - Dillon Mini VEE

Well, finally got the garage clean enough to start building a boat

Decided to build the Dillon Mini Vee for a couple of reasons;

1st - proven design, it's done well in racing since it's inception

2nd - I wanted a project that I could build with my son; Though he is significantly younger than I was when I started a project like this with my dad, I think this is something missing in today's society, and something I won't let him go without.

3rd - My kids and I can race it; I have a 14 year old daughter that can run GT Pro, a 11 year old that can run Mini GT in another year, a 7 year old that will likely be the best boat racer some day, and my 5 year old son, and of course, I'll race GT Pro as well. The family that races together stays together This hull can handle both classes.

4th - Affordability, I'm trying to get an affordable boat racing class going down here in Florida, information is hard to come by when looking for boat races; I'm a Software Engineer by education, and a mechanic by trade; I think I can put a website together that grows traffic and starts making more people more aware of boat racing, and the fact that you don't have to have a $400,000 off shore boat to race.

I'm going to write this thread to target people who are on the fence about building a boat. I've done a little wood working, but not enough to say I'm good at it, but I have a pretty good attention to detail, and a determination to do things right, and am hoping that people that have a similar skill set, and mentality can realize that they can build a boat too, race, and most importantly, have fun with the whole process!

Some pictures tomorrow or Sunday of the Garage set-up, tools I'm starting with, and material costs. I'm hoping that after the set-up we'll get a couple of the frames lofted, and cut out. As I progress, at the end, I'll recap with a complete list of tools used, materials used, cost, and time, mistakes, lessons learned, etc.

Wayne Holtzclaw
    Web Developer
    Air Compressor Mechanic
    Boat Builder(?)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wayne, Tom Lang from the Donzi list here. Looking forward to the build!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustnrot View Post
    Hi Wayne, Tom Lang from the Donzi list here. Looking forward to the build!
    Thanks Tom!

It will be fun for sure!

There was a,... well, we'll say significant problem with the Donzi build I was going to do - namely someone else decided they wanted the hull more than me well the trailer really, but did a number on the hull in the mean time.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located in FL, Wayne?
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Port St. Lucie - About 2 hours south of you

Wayne

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, here we go, please ask questions as we go, I'll answer the best I can

point out potential problems as we go too, don't want to try to fix stuff later ; )

07/31 to 08/05 - Garage is disgusting, no way I can build a boat in here

08/05 to 08/09 fisnished getting the garage cleaned, got most of the wood supplies to build the boat;

I began by building (2) saw horses; I cheated, and used the little metal brackets you can get from the home improvement stores for 7$ (makes 1 saw horse), so needed 2 sets. I set mine up 3' high, and 5' wide. They are pretty darned sturdy, and at this point, I'm just using them for a table; when I begin assembly, I'll make sure that everything is perfectly square and level.

I next got the first sheet of plywood on the table, and drawing and cut-out bulkhead #1, and then bulkhead #2. The plans call for you removing a 1/4" piece (for the combing) between the center and outboard sections of the bulkheads. I have opted to do this at a later point. You can see the areas marked out in the photos.

When I drew the "crown" on the deck, I clamped a section of wood down on the plywood at the center-line. The piece of wood ended at the height of the center point. I then took a piece of FRP (fiber reinforced plastic), centered it at this clamp, and bent the ends down to meet the point at the outside edged, then traced the line. The plans say to use one of the battens, which is fine, I just used this piece of plastic I had as I didn't want to cut or plane down the battens yet. I'll try to outline the drawing of the bulkheads a little better with bulkheads number #3 and 4 coming later this week.

Bulkhead #1

Bulkhead #2

Bulkhead #1 infront of #2.

Notice the reference lines running down the center, and horizontally. These reference lines are important to making sure everything lines up right and that it's square, so make sure you pay extra attention when you draw these lines to make sure they are level and straight.

This is my son - this is our first big wood working project together; I think he just wants to get it done as he was beating me with this piece from a pressure washer :O

He's 5, but his 12 year old sister will be ready to race next season with me. He has 2 other older sisters too, 14 (has no interest in anything but her friends), and a 8 year old sister who will be hell behind the wheel of a boat ; )

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newport Richie....?

Quote Originally Posted by wholtzclaw View Post
    I'm in Port St. Lucie - About 2 hours south of you

Wayne
    If Newport Richie is close....look up Marcel Belleville. MArcel built more than 100 boats when he lived in California......

Thread Information