Thread: Wiseco Vs. OEM Replacement Pistons

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wiseco Vs. OEM Replacement Pistons

Which would you rather have and why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DuckLn View Post
    Which would you rather have and why?
    Ive used Wiseco pistons & had no problem. In the 31,8ci deflector type pistons the Wiseco's are lighter but don't have beveled expander type ring. 6-o-1, 1/2 dozen-o-the other? I did get a pair that were .001 different, [matched set?] but you'll find weight difference in the stock pistons at least if not size too. By choice as you asked.. ?, $$'s count to me too but which is better or not I cant say. Good Luck

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    Ive used Wiseco pistons & had no problem. In the 31,8ci deflector type pistons the Wiseco's are lighter but don't have beveled expander type ring. 6-o-1, 1/2 dozen-o-the other? I did get a pair that were .001 different, [matched set?] but you'll find weight difference in the stock pistons at least if not size too. By choice as you asked.. ?, $$'s count to me too but which is better or not I cant say. Good Luck
    The reason I'm asking is my buddy races dirt bikes and super bikes and says people in his industry stear clear of them if possible. He didnt go into specifics but I would like to hear from some outboard enthusiasts whether or not they would recommend Wisecos as a trustworthy replacement and whether or not I could expect any performance gain using Wisecos over OEM.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall, the difference is that Wisecos are cast rather than forged and have a different expansion rate, calling for a different piston to cylinder clearance.

Read the manual, follow the directions and you have no problem ... think you know it all ... the problems you cause must be someone else's fault.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    If I recall, the difference is that Wisecos are cast rather than forged and have a different expansion rate, calling for a different piston to cylinder clearance.

Read the manual, follow the directions and you have no problem ... think you know it all ... the problems you cause must be someone else's fault.
    I think its the other way around Sam, OMC might be hypereutectic but not forged
    All Wiseco's are forged I am pretty sure Hence the issue of getting piston to bore clearance right with them.
    Personally I would like to use ones made from the new material that Etecs are made from

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked over a Wiseco instruction sheet, couldn't find anything on whether forged or cast, the piston itself seems too fine to be cast even where it wouldn't be machined or matter. The instructions do say piston to bore clearance is specific to Wiseco's & all ports should be champhored. Also noted that if the motor is modified more clearance is advised. It gave reference to the #'s information but I don't have that, been awhile since I used them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    I think its the other way around Sam, OMC might be hypereutectic but not forged
    All Wiseco's are forged I am pretty sure Hence the issue of getting piston to bore clearance right with them.
    Personally I would like to use ones made from the new material that Etecs are made from
    Wiseco Manufactures High Performance Forged Pistons [copy & pasted]

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I'm asking is my buddy races dirt bikes and super bikes and says people in his industry stear clear of them if possible. He didnt go into specifics but I would like to hear from some outboard enthusiasts whether or not they would recommend Wisecos as a trustworthy replacement and whether or not I could expect any performance gain using Wisecos over OEM.

Thanks
    Wiseco's are indeed a FORGED piston and require a little more clearance than a cast pistons. The break in procedure is VERY critical with Wiseco's. As to which is better, well that depends on the motor manufacturer. When building Mercs, I prefer the Mercury ART pistons (when available) over Wiseco's any day...........Vertex seems to be a good piston also..............
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Ask your buddy if he prefers OEM or has another after market supplier?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What other manufacturer's are there for 2 stroke outboard pistons? Motor is a 30 HP 3 cylinder.

I did view the Vertex website and it appears they do not make pistons for small outboards such as this.

Thread Information