Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiseco Vs. OEM Replacement Pistons

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ProMarine in florida makes a good piston...g

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    Wiseco's are indeed a FORGED piston and require a little more clearance than a cast pistons. The break in procedure is VERY critical with Wiseco's. As to which is better, well that depends on the motor manufacturer. When building Mercs, I prefer the Mercury ART pistons (when available) over Wiseco's any day...........Vertex seems to be a good piston also..............
    are the vertex pistons still available for the 50 hp mercury's ?? i thought i heard they were NLA is this true ??
    "Change is the only Constant in this life!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DuckLn View Post
    What other manufacturer's are there for 2 stroke outboard pistons? Motor is a 30 HP 3 cylinder.

I did view the Vertex website and it appears they do not make pistons for small outboards such as this.
    30hp 3cyl what?????? brand?
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    30hp 3cyl what?????? brand?
    30 HP 3 cylinder 496 CC Yamaha. Thanks.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pistons

Randy, From my last order from Pro Marine/Vertex they have plenty now. They were only out of the .015 over's. I know Van Over bought a lot when the shipment finally came in.

I am now placing an order for some Merc. 44 pistons. They are available in std./10/20/30and 40 overs. Daren, they are just like the ART 2 ring Mercs. I have compared and tested in 2/ 44's and are just fine. they are made with 7 degree taper on rings. Super piston. Can sell for $64.95. I have to buy in quantities but pistons are already made.

Before the APBA Nationals I sold out of my .030 Wiseco 3 cyl. Mod 50 look-a-like's and are sending some .040's out first of the week to an NBRA driver. (don't know if he wants me to tell who). Have some 20's and 40's left though.

Food for though---- The only way I got the Wiseco pistons to work( over 200 out there) was to increase the taper to the same as the Mod 50 by OMC. I feel a forged piston needs the taper for expansion. The cast varies as to the silicon content.

Let me know if I can help anyone with these merc. 44 pistons. Can have as early as the middle of next week. I've got 10 pcs. of my order sold. Should have plenty though.

Phil McDaniel cell 843-446-7767 home 843-650-0400---------------------Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McDaniel View Post
    Randy, From my last order from Pro Marine/Vertex they have plenty now. They were only out of the .015 over's. I know Van Over bought a lot when the shipment finally came in.

I am now placing an order for some Merc. 44 pistons. They are available in std./10/20/30and 40 overs. Daren, they are just like the ART 2 ring Mercs. I have compared and tested in 2/ 44's and are just fine. they are made with 7 degree taper on rings. Super piston. Can sell for $64.95. I have to buy in quantities but pistons are already made.

Before the APBA Nationals I sold out of my .030 Wiseco 3 cyl. Mod 50 look-a-like's and are sending some .040's out first of the week to an NBRA driver. (don't know if he wants me to tell who). Have some 20's and 40's left though.

Food for though---- The only way I got the Wiseco pistons to work( over 200 out there) was to increase the taper to the same as the Mod 50 by OMC. I feel a forged piston needs the taper for expansion. The cast varies as to the silicon content.

Let me know if I can help anyone with these merc. 44 pistons. Can have as early as the middle of next week. I've got 10 pcs. of my order sold. Should have plenty though.

Phil McDaniel cell 843-446-7767 home 843-650-0400---------------------Thanks
    Phil, are the Merc pistons you have the small or large wrist pin type??? Wiseco made?
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pistons

Daren, They are the large wrist pin and other than one(1) casting mark, they are just like the Merc. 2 ring piston. They gram out lighter(2 grams) than the Vertex. Looks like Merc., just cheaper in price. They are made over seas and supplier wont tell me the mfg. In regards to no info, I don't know the piston composition. Not only the Mercs but others for Yamaha and OMC(some fishing/mostly HP) we have had no failures. Please don't be mislead by the price. I had to become a dealer to be able to offer to the race this price. Thanks Phil

Thread Information