Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Divisions Are Good

Post Thanks / Like

Default Divisions Are Good

I personally would like to buy a BRAND NEW COR motor. After what I heard, today, I may have to find a 1986 V-^ Mercury, so I can build a winning motor. I would be happy to run a BRAND NEW motor is a Division of COR.

Not everyone can look through "JUNK" piles looking for good parts.

I'd love to race a new 200 Yamaha Four Stroke in COR.....Division II.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...061#post130061

In Canada they have Divisions in their Vee Bottom class!
    Last edited by 3030; 03-15-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

After what I heard, today, I may have to find a 1976 V-^ Mercury, so I can build a winning motor.

Your such a tease. Do tell what you heard. I promise not to say a word!

1986 2.0L huh. I have wondered about how that motor would stack up against the current COR motors too.

DB
    Last edited by 3030; 03-15-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We started work on this class in 2006. I thought other similar classes didnít offer enough options to encourage more entries.
    First, the class had to appeal to people that had suitable boats and motors. The initial problem was there were a lot of boats, but
    a wide range of motors. The first step was to get boats on the race course and compare the different combinations. I took two years to
    get suitable rules that worked for all the different combinations. For 2013 we are making adjustments, nothing extreme or of major change.

As you stated in your post above. Some people like NEW stuff and others like to tinker with older stuff.
    Here is how V Production Runabout is structured.

There are two unique rules:
    [1] you race in the group where you are competitive.
    [2] No boat is allowed to dominate.

GT30 is a prop rated 30 hp class. You can run any 30 hp motor. The advantage here is the new ETEC and 4 strokes perform better..

T750 is 750 cc [45 cu. Inch] maximum for 3 cylinder models. 2 cylinder models can be larger up to 48 cubic inch to allow the 48 t0 60 2 cylinder Nissan , Mariner/Yamaha.
    50 and 60 hp 4 strokes can also run even though they are much larger displacement. It all depends on the performance of the boat. If it runs 53 to 59 mph in can run in this class.

And YES RON they all race in the same heat.

T850 is up to 1000 cc or 60 cubic inch. This allows the 2 stoke models including the 60 cubic inch Mercury. It also allows you to race ETEC and 4 stroke models.
    Again, it is based on performance. The class speed is 60 to 70 mph. They all run together.

Ron, as you mentioned above. IF? we get a group of boats with similar motors we will have Division II etc.

COR The current single 2 liter Mercury rule doesnít fit our structure. We will have more options. Maybe stock 150 hp or 200 hp motors and allow both 2 stroke and 4 stroke models.
    It would be a division based on equal performance.

Inspections and NON race events in T.

With no prize money we have reduced the TECH inspections and increased the Safety Inspections.

T has a T Party before the race season.
    We weigh, inspect, test and socialize.
    To make weighing simple at the races, we weigh the boats at the T Party LESS driver. That weight goes on the inspection sheet.
    At the race we only need to weigh the driver .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting Post, Hounddog.

In the summer of 1967, I spent a lot of time with Jim Hauenstein. I was never judgmental of people, I taught elementary school at the time and was "Dumb" enough to think everyone could leaven things. Jim had just graduated from USC and we considering Law School at UCLA.

We spent most of the summer drinking beer, chasing women, playing pool and going to boat races.

I had broken three World Recors that spring at speeds of 80-85 range.

Jimmy Had been the 1964, maybe 1965 "C" Service Runabout National Champion. I mentioned to Jim that a 53 MPH "C" Service Runabout wasn't really "Racing". Jim's answer was, "Ronnie, "C" Service Runabout is a 'Gentleman's Class' for sure." I said, "What is a 'Gentleman's' Class?" It is a class were people come to the races to enjoy the races. They race hard. They have nice looking boats. They give each other room to race.

Jimmy graduated from UCLA Law School and practiced law for a while, then started Arcadian Trucking.

Jim had 153 diesel trucks on the road when he was killed May 1, 1997 in a P.R.O.P Tour Race in Washington, North Carolina.

Jim was always a gentleman, even when I stole his beer while he worked at Fred's Cafe in Kingsburg, California.

The point I'm getting to is this: In the 60's we were tying to go fast, as we did. And we killed more drivers than I can count.

This is 2013, and "T" types class are our future. "Transparent" rules: meaning, everyone understands the rules, rule that make sense, and we "RACE". The concept of a "T" party where people weigh boats, measure engine heights is GREAT.

Jerry Gilbreath was by the shop the other day. When I told him COR rules he said, "WOW". 26 CC heads, 2.0 liter blocks (no behind the liners), 1 inch below the bottom, 1,550 pounds.... "WOW" was his answer to this is going to be a tough class to win in....

In my mind, I'm convince everyone like to race when they think the can win...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-16-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if he still has the 20ft GMT molds then maybe he should build another boat. That would be big for COR to get him involved.
    I remember way back in the late 80`s in St. Louis i paid him a complement on how nice his GMT looked. He then took time to talk to this small time guy (me) and told me all about the building process and how everybody told him that if he built a boat and won with it that he would sell hundreds. Then he laughed. Cool dude!

DB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron you are dead on in stating that racers want to have a chance to win. You don't have a race if you don't have people to race against. Racers quickly lose interest when they are not competitive and they stop racing. In the beginning stage of developing the Canadian version of T class we needed to get people out to race. We had a $100.00 draw each day of racing. Everyone was in the draw and had a chance to win the money. The only rule was you were removed from the draw on Sunday if you won Saturday. We also promoted the off race social activities to get people involved. The fans enjoy watching the T boats race just a much as the drivers. The action is every where on the race course. There isn't just one type or make of motor or one style of boat. It is a mixture and fans have their own favorites. We also run a clock start and most times back to back heats. Twelve T boats hitting the start line all at the same time is very exciting for the fans. Also, there is little delay between heats. The racers like it because they are in the water once and get their days racing over quickly rather than launching twice a day. When we look at a weekends race results we see multiple winners of heats and BIG SIMILES on the racer's faces. Most important they are back to race the next race.
    Racing has to be FUN!

Post Thanks / Like

Very good thread. Ive racedlots of things in my day, street bikes, sports cars, motoX, shifter karts, etc., and I will admit that the funnest racing I ever had was when the class was a true spec class. In karting I raced a class where it was one frame and one engine, and the engine was sealed by the builder. The races would have 10 karts trying for the win in every race, and if you were not winning it was clearly all you, either your skills or your set up ability. No whining about people cheating, secrecy, etc., it was a very good time.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We were really hoping to have part of our GT30 as a spec class. We purchased the Gilbert GT30 boat molds in 2012 and planned on running 30 hp ETEC motors. The boats and motors would have been a package and every boat would be the same. A good starter class and also a perfect class for racers to learn how to drive. Gilbert didn't ship the molds nor return our money so we are currently working on designing our own hull. Mark the owner of TUFF Boats has build some lighter/stronger Critchfield hulls for T Class. We hope to test one of the light ones as a GT30 hull. Another option is to get Winrace hulls or maybe a Winrace mold.

Thread Information