Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: racing lower units

Post Thanks / Like

yes there are several omc 15 to 25 hp racing engines and you can buy them straight from OMC the (15hp) and can even get a racing lower unit upgrade and come race stock outboard in 1 of the largest classes in stock outboard
    I am not aware of these motors. Can you tell us the model number, price and how to order them?

I think you are referring to the out of production 15SS and 45SS which he already knows about, but can't buy "straight from OMC" or any other place except hunting down a used one.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi,
    other than the forced water pump wouild a streamlined gearcase only be of the non-shiftable type?
    I've been thinking of a smaller gearcase/shiftable 15 inch unit for my '77 JonaRude 50hp fishin' mota.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The easiest thing is to buy a motor, There's plenty of choices in new & used equip. Need to ask yer-self what you're really looking for in size, what kind of boat intended. A race lower wont do much if any good on most conventional boats. Hydro's, flat bottom runabouts & tunnel hulls are where they do well. Hulls that are heavy & displace alot of water tend to need the geared down units & larger diameter props. Some performance V bottoms respond well too but beyond that you'd be better off working with props, weight & set up on a conventional boat. That said, there's a long list of racing motors, almost always something for sale. You are of course encouraged to come racing, lots of fun.
    If you want to go the play boat route & adapt a case, your best bet is a used one. Id think with the Komato's being available & reported to be good some older units may start showing up on the HR for sale or here or even e-buy. The Bass is great but a bit big for anything under 25hp. Yamato pro cases adapt well with the 4 stud pattern.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill5 View Post
    hi,
    other than the forced water pump wouild a streamlined gearcase only be of the non-shiftable type?
    I've been thinking of a smaller gearcase/shiftable 15 inch unit for my '77 JonaRude 50hp fishin' mota.

thanks
    Those do have a HUGE gear case, The smaller OMC cases would probably blow out the sides in less than10 minutes LoLs There, a 45 case would be cool.

Thread Information