Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions From Jimbo McConnell

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer

I have what was told to me a trailer that belong to Sid Craft in the early days i have no proof that it is other than word of mouth.It does have a 50"s Chevy truck front droped ax. so that would tell the age of it . I have had it from about 1975 . I have allways wondered if it was a Sid trailer or not.

Allen J. Lang

During a visit to Sid and Bob while attending my cousin's wedding, Sid's side of the story of the break up was that there was a back log of orders and Sid wanted to redesign as he said to many guys were getting hurt with the increase of engine power. He said Mickey wanted to keep on building the design they had. He said he and Bob took a year going to the races to figure out what he had to change. He also said they were building one boat a week and no favorites were given as they were built as each order came in. At least that is what he told me.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sid Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Allen J. Lang View Post
    During a visit to Sid and Bob while attending my cousin's wedding, Sid's side of the story of the break up was that there was a back log of orders and Sid wanted to redesign as he said to many guys were getting hurt with the increase of engine power. He said Mickey wanted to keep on building the design they had. He said he and Bob took a year going to the races to figure out what he had to change. He also said they were building one boat a week and no favorites were given as they were built as each order came in. At least that is what he told me.
    Allen

I'm sure that's what Sid told you but I don't believe the back log as there was a 1964 short sponson "A" on the jig, the last to be built with no purchaser. My brother & I bought it. It is true that Sid & Bob took a year off as they went to the bigger farther races with my dad & I. Now as far as favorites, that also might be true but he did honor regular repeat customers with changes in designs, i.e. Okies first round sponson hydro which was sold to the Berghauers & all their boats after that had round sponsons. On the other hand mine & Christie's were stock designs but I had a couple of Sid Sons that were a little shorter at the nose & rounded back to the original sponson location. My 11' BOH which I won the nationals with in 1968 was actually 10' 10". My 1079 COH which normally was 12' 3" was 12'. Gave quicker acceleration.

Allen J. Lang

Hi John,
    With you knowing him like you did, I can see your point of view. When I popped in, here was a kid paying a visit who he didn't know and he could say anything that made his side of the break up look good for him. While there, Bob kept working away on a boat while we shot the bull. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the clarification.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sidson

JJ Gibbs, son of John sent me this post as I have not been on for awhile. I'm no expert on Sidcrafts or Sidsons but I know a little. The 1033 Boat was one I purchased from Jim Briggs which John Gibbs drove. Still had the number 6 on it when I picked it up. Tim was was the one I talked to when I picked it up. John drove in at Parker in 73 and I purchased it right after Parker. I drove a Hustler Tunnel with a 1000BP and 1350 prior to that. I did talk to Bob Urytzski a couple of times and ordered some parts for the boat. I remember it as a heavy boat that ran well in rough water. The real old guys, Schubert and Gibbs, got to be 75 plus by now had a lot of tiime in them so know them better than me. Last I heard (mid 80's) that boat was still in Wisconsin. The red boat was not a Sidson but a Marathon built by Tom Arnstad. I bought it in 1975. John Gibbs drove it for Clint and Judy Beard.

Attached are a couple of Sid pictures: the orange boat, 391, was the Travis brothers, Bill and Bob's Sid and the 3 is the one Tim Briggs drove and the one I think ended up in Dick Ingebretsen, John Stochl then Bill Richters hands. Not sure though as the nose is a little different. Could have changed as this one was damaged a few times, according to Gibbs. The other shot is of the Marathon sometime before the crash.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information