Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dave Packer, Honolulu, Hawaii

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dave Packer, Honolulu, Hawaii

We always thought Dave came from some money, but no one knew for sure. He lived in Honolulu and came to the Main Land to race often. My brother was a referee at one of Dave's races in Honolulu. My brother called it quite interesting racing. Seems there weren't many boats, but everyone raced together. They had about ten boats in ten classes and most were leading APBA National High Points. They weren't really cheating, they were "RACING"... They had "Hawaiian Rules" that were Dave's interpretation of APBA's rules.

Everything was well and good, and much fun was had by all.

I got to seeing Dave at the races, and he always had Hawaiian Lea's all over his boats and crew. Richard Stewart from Honolulu often raced with him,too.

I started seeing Dave at APBA meeting, he wasn't married, but everytime, I'd see him he had a different GOOD LOOKING WOMAN with him. No matter where he was he seemed to a at least one good looker, but sometimes two or three.. After several years I said, "Dave how many girls friends do you have?" He said, "Probably none."

Huh?, I said. He says when I fly back and forth from the Main Land, it talk to the stewardesses and I invite them to come to Honolulu and stay at my house (For free, and even if he wasn't there). So, over the years, he knew many GOOD LOOKING stewardesses from all over America and when he'd show up in their city, they'd take care of him. Pretty cool, really!

Dave's mom was living in New York and not doing well. Dave moved to Rome, NY to take care of his mom. While he was there I sold him a yellow MOD VP Sleek Craft and an Evinrude 235.

He didn't live in New York very long, he developed brain cancer and died, probably, 30 years ago. I doubt that he was 35 when he died. The sport lost a good one when it lost Dave Parker. This is from an Elsinore 500, 1968 promotional photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-01-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dave Packer

This Dave's rig at Clinton Iowa in the late 70's. Apparently he ran for Bob Thompson's "Just Add Water" team.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave ran that boat (built by Ken Stevenson) here in Canada in 1979 in Penetang, Ontario.
    I think it started life as a SST 120 and was lightning fast off the beach but when powered by a 2.4 was quite a handfull.
    Tim Toole (a Canadian driver) ended up with this boat and he also said it was somewhat over-powered with a 2.4.
    I know Dave attended a few Canadian races including Valleyfield in I think 1979 or 1980.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dave and the Sleek Craft

I raced against Dave,I believe the only time he raced that Sleek Craft. It was a very competitive boat in Mod VP and he was a quite aggressive driver. In fact the attitude of the boat looked like Kim Howard was driving it. He was doing well until the second half of the front straight in the second heat.The boat blew over. I spoke to Dave after and he seamed OK. That was the last time I saw him.

Thread Information