Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who cuts midsections

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    Now why would he want to do that? I have only built three short 90 yammis, all still runnuing and doing fine. Apparently "They" got to him, I'm the ENEMY. I even went as far as to BEG him not to cut the transom on the tunnel. But hell what do I know......
    Apparently I missed something else. I had mine cut because I wanted a 15in midsection and a custom trim system for my XR Allison.

I got both and I am very pleased. As far as the shaft... The gentleman who built mine cut my driveshaft down, welded it back up and re-cut the splines. It is the same as the 90 horse stuff if I am not mistaken, it has a smaller diameter just above the water pump housing and it widens out again at the top. It gives the shaft the ability to twist a bit. I can only assume that was done to minimize breakage.

88's stuff runs well. I have seen & heard too much about that not to believe it. As far as whether or not to cut one down... It's a pain. But if done right, the cool factor goes up considerably!
    Russ Rogers
    Fort Worth (Hell's Half Acre), TX

http://www.caldwellracingtechnology.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Default We All Got A File

Quote Originally Posted by Rusrog View Post
    Maybe I'm out in left field here but why not just have it resplined??? Instead of cutting up a bunch of sockets and all... Have the guy who does the SS to just respline the shaft.

Russ
    Our machinist can cut off and spline a V-6 drive shaft without taking the gear case apart.

The problem is, no everyone has a machine to spline a shaft. You can cut a drive shaft with a sawsall, and file a square on it and you can file a hex....My experience with welded shafts, they always seem to break right at the weld...

Post Thanks / Like

Now why would he want to do that? I have only built three short 90 yammis, all still runnuing and doing fine. Apparently "They" got to him, I'm the ENEMY. I even went as far as to BEG him not to cut the transom on the tunnel. But hell what do I know......
    I tried to get in touch with you several times but you never called. As far as enemys I wouldn't say that. I've only met you once I didn't have a problem with you.Hell I'm just waiting for an invite to come ride the river in Piere Part. Maybe you can teach me how to drive that ally. And you were right about the transom but it was already done before you told me any different. PS you find a block for me?
    Poor Boy Racing

Post Thanks / Like

The drive shaft is $80.00 I'll tell you where to send it, he does them every week and they are perfect and hold up. And you can not tell where he did the work. I have a block but no crank. Or head. Might find a complete and you can start there. The short mid, I haven't looked for a while but they are still out there. Or the cut one will work also. If you cut a stock 90 it is acually better because it allows more room for the 90 water pump. With the factory short mid you will be trying to stuff a 90 pump where a 48/55/60 pump was intended to be. I have two people who can do the cutting and welding for you also, I have been strapped for time lately. Call me tomorrow.
    Helping folks out around the globe.

Post Thanks / Like

The drive shaft is $80.00 I'll tell you where to send it, he does them every week and they are perfect and hold up. And you can not tell where he did the work. I have a block but no crank. Or head. Might find a complete and you can start there. The short mid, I haven't looked for a while but they are still out there. Or the cut one will work also. If you cut a stock 90 it is acually better because it allows more room for the 90 water pump. With the factory short mid you will be trying to stuff a 90 pump where a 48/55/60 pump was intended to be. I have two people who can do the cutting and welding for you also, I have been strapped for time lately. Call me tomorrow.
    jason's, right about that,i got a short one,it takes a lot of trimming to make the 90 pump work. next time i'll cut a long shaft
    out front again

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if it helps !! but the old 2 cyl 60 yam short shaft fits straight on Yam 90 powerhead. (90 yam was 2 cyl 60 with extra cylinder added )
    Some people are still running this combination over here !. I will try to dig out photo
    Advantage is you can use the smaller generation box, so keep prop dia and pitch down !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kinder View Post
    Don't know if it helps !! but the old 2 cyl 60 yam short shaft fits straight on Yam 90 powerhead. (90 yam was 2 cyl 60 with extra cylinder added )
    Some people are still running this combination over here !. I will try to dig out photo
    Advantage is you can use the smaller generation box, so keep prop dia and pitch down !!
    seems like the mariner small gearcase wont hold up under the drag racing we do. we all are running stock powerheads, quess i might be speaking for my self. the 90 lower unit never seems to give a problem...........
    out front again

Thread Information