Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Practicing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Practicing

hi--

I'm interested in getting involved in racing stock hydros (A or C) and have a naive question: where/how/when do you practice? (OK, so that's really three questions.)

The "where" part is directed more to people in the greater Los Angeles area, where I live.

In general it seems the boats aren't registered, they don't have a reverse gear, and are too short, any of these things making them technically not allowed on lakes around here. Then there's the obvious speed issue; most lakes have 35 mph limits, though I suppose you could still practice at these speeds.

So right now I have a Hal Kelly Wetback 12 with a non-racing motor (a Yamaha-something, 18-22hp), I'm guessing it's in the 25-30 mph neighborhood. I took it to Puddingstone and they wouldn't allow me in the fast boating area because they claimed it wasn't the required minimum 12ft length for that (even though it is). Pyramid was no good because of the chop; and I've been told Castaic is just as bad as Pyramid.

The best place I've been to is Long Beach Marine Stadium; early in the morning I'm often alone, and at most have had 1-2 other ski boats out there. So that's been a lot of fun but technically I'm not allowed there because I don't have a reverse gear.

And so with an actual ASH or CSH where could I go?

Or do people just not go out except for the 4-5 races per year?

Thanks,

--Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Several Places....

There will be several A Hydros "Practicing" at Irvine Lake this Wednesday afternoon. Boat racers call "Practice" Testing. I sometimes think we call it "Testing" because we frequently "Test" our patience when "Testing".......
    Ernie Dawe goes to Blythe and test at Mayfair Park. Seems to be a very good spot to test in the spring and fall.

Long Beach may "Bust you" if you don't have reverse.

I've been told that Carlsbad Lagoon can also be used, but I have not been there. Lake Hodges near San Diego is a good spot to test also.

Come to Irvine after 4:00 Wednesday and "Hang Out"...

Post Thanks / Like

You can test on Lake Hodges, Wednesday, Saturdaym=, and Sunday. Get there early, pay the $5 to launch, and carry a GPS locked at 35mph, then use another one to test full speed...Round the turn and leave the water nazis behind you then have at it....If they stop you show them the 35mph GPS...Also, you will need a four stroke conversion kit...Two deals, each saying 4 Stroke, pasted to each side of the motor hood....Am brilliant fix for the stupidest law ever passed....
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Sounds great! Lake Irvine is not too bad, looks like about 1h20m from me (only 20m further than Marine Stadium). Two of the other sites (Hodges and Carlsbad Lagoon) are probably a bit too far from me for regular testing (pushing 3hr). I don't know where Blythe or Mayfair are; can you tell me more about those?

I think I'm supposed to show my electric car to an EV club this Wednesday night but I can probably get out of that; I'll try. Is the Wednesday Irvine testing a regular thing?

I do have a new prop I'd like to test; if I can make Wednesday, would I be out of place bringing my wetback or should I leave it to another time and just hang out with the real ASHs?

Thanks!

--Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Semi Regular

During the racing season it is REGULAR Testing...Keep in mind it cost $100 for testing at Irvine.

Irvine action, Marlee Hill, Mike Wright's trailer, Nicole Knudsen....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ming....

Quote Originally Posted by halestorm View Post
    Hey, Sounds great! Lake Irvine is not too bad, looks like about 1h20m from me (only 20m further than Marine Stadium). Two of the other sites (Hodges and Carlsbad Lagoon) are probably a bit too far from me for regular testing (pushing 3hr). I don't know where Blythe or Mayfair are; can you tell me more about those?

I think I'm supposed to show my electric car to an EV club this Wednesday night but I can probably get out of that; I'll try. Is the Wednesday Irvine testing a regular thing?

I do have a new prop I'd like to test; if I can make Wednesday, would I be out of place bringing my wetback or should I leave it to another time and just hang out with the real ASHs?

Thanks!

--Dave
    Dave, not sure where you live, but Lake Ming, east of Bakersfield has "testing" on Thursdays. It is mostly the drag guys, but we've used it to test the Pro Stock boat many times. (CF # s are not required during testing)...For our use, the biggest drawback is the total lack of any rescue on site. At 110+, rescue CAN become a huge issue, although there are usually other boats that could assist in an emergency... They use to get $35. for three hours, 8-11AM, then it was $50., for four hours, not sure what it is now.... There's a race coming up there this next weekend, and at the speeds you're talking about, along with CF # s , you could cruise to your hearts content any day of the week up there... Drive up Saturday and watch, test after the races are over for the day, and drive home, or get a room in Bako and come back for Sunday's action. My "53C" hydro will be there, along with several other Hydro racers, and a full schedule of inboards running in circles....
    Ray 805 300 0012......Feel free to call with any questions....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    During the racing season it is REGULAR Testing...Keep in mind it cost $100 for testing at Irvine..
    "regular testing" means no jokers in wetbacks, I assume?

$100 to launch at Lake Irvine?? (Or is that $$ some special event fee?)

(sorry, I told you in the first post these were going to be naive questions.)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ray -- I'm in Sunland 91040 (north Los Angeles) -- I plan to be at Lake Ming in any case this weekend, to watch the races and hopefully see what goes on in the pits, etc. Wasn't planning on bringing the Wetback but may reconsider now after your suggestion. Mainly though, I wanted to try to get involved in the sanctioned race action this weekend, since that's what I'm interested in.

I bought the turnkey Wetback with CF# from Chris Chamberlain a few months ago, to decide if this was something I might want to do. It's fun and easy to take out by myself but I'm ready to go faster now and want to get into actual racing. A or C, I haven't decided yet, but I suppose that's another thread.

Thread Information