Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TRUE? I have to burn ethanol, retard timing?

Post Thanks / Like

That is correct, but there are many other more important factors.

Exactly where are you going with the methanol idea and why have you brought up a third fuel?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can say this about Arkansas filling stations: Our state regs are not sufficient and that is all i will say.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Methanol has a 50% lower BTU than gasoline, however the ideal methanol/air mixture is 1:5.5 which is more the 2.3 times fuel than if gasoline(1:13) is used, thus the heat produced is approx 17% more than petrol.
    Ethanol is about 10% more than petrol.
    flowing that amount of fuel requires a serious rejet though!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding ethanol to petrol will increase its octane number which allows you to run higher compression and advanced timing, For a while here in oz you could get cheap 95 octane E10 ethanol blend which was good in my opinion. But since then they have blended ethanol with lower grade petrol to give 90 octane crap IMO. Low fuel economy and poor power is hardly enviromentally sound!

stick with plane old high octane gasoline unless the ethanol added actually gives some octane advantage. We also had a 100 octane fuel available breifly which used ethanol to boost it octane number up, was popular with the turbo boys.

I guess the long and the short of it is, no, you should not have to retard timing if the octane number is as specified in your owners manual, regardless of what the fuel is blended from.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Heat of evap -vs- heat energy

Product Latent Heat of Evaporation (kJ/kg) / (Btu/lb)

Acetone 518 / 223
    Alcohol, ethyl (ethanol) 846 / 364
    Alcohol, methyl (methanol alcohol) 1100 / 473
    Toluene 351 / 151
    Water 2257 / 970.4

Here's why you want to run Methanol!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Becareful here, latent heat of evaporation refers to the amount of heat to convert from liquid to gas. and i quote:
    Methanol and ethanol have a very high latent heat of vaporisation, i.e., it takes a
    lot of heat to convert them from liquid form into vapour. Petrol has a latent heat of
    evaporation of 135 Btu/lb., methanol 472 Btu/lb. and ethanol 410 Btu/lb. This heat,
    required for proper atomisation, is removed from the piston crown, combustion
    chamber and the cylinder, resulting in an internally cooler engine.
    An engine burning methanol will usually show a 6-8% power increase over one
    running on Avgas 100/130 (i.e., Racing Fuel 100), without any change in compression
    ratio. With the compression ratio increased to its maximum, power can rise as much as
    15-17%. Where does the power increase come from?
    The two cycle engine is a type of heat engine, i.e., one that burns fuel to cause the
    expansion of gas, and the subsequent movement of the piston. The more heat produced
    by the combustion fire, the more pressure there will be exerted on the piston, which
    gives us a power increase.
    Using petrol, the fuel/air ratio for best power (i.e., the strongest force on the
    piston) is 1:12.5. With methanol, for example, we can increase the fuel/air ratio to
    1:4.5, although I usually prefer a ratio of 1:5.5; less than 1:7 is too lean.
    One pound of petrol has the energy potential of about 19,000 Btu (one British
    Thermal Unit is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one pound
    of water one degree Fahrenheit.). In comparison, methanol delivers around 9,800
    Btu/lb., which means that it produces less than 52% of the heat energy of lib of petrol.
    However, because we are mixing more methanol with each pound of air (1:5.5) than
    petrol (1:12.5), we are actually producing more heat energy by burning methanol.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wanna go like a bat outta hell? Inject WM50 (water/ methanol 50 %) into the carb opening at full throttle. Virtually every WW II aircraft engine builder used that trick to prevent detonation, so they could run higher boost pressure and/ or compression ratios. The water and methanol effect the cooling without need of extra fuel, which you WOULD need with pure methanol. Far as I can determine, no fuel enrichment was ever added with the WM50, just the juice itself.

All you need is a tank, a windshield washer pump, a nozzle and some plumbing. I did that on several of my turbo cars running insanely high boost pressures, using a pressure switch to trigger the pump.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think spraying water into your bearings is a good idea?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default get a pair

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill5 View Post
    Great forum!
    Opinion poll time:
    An outboard service yard told me on my 1972 50 hp Johna/Rude fishin' mota, that runs on E10 (all we can get in Massachusetts) that I should not run at the stock timing setting of 19 degrees @ 5500 RPM: I should time to a setting at least 2 degrees less to have the engine hold together longer.

Is this fact or fiction?

Would the change in timing even make a difference the way it performs?

Thanks,
    Bill
    one gallon of BLUE THUNDER 30% NITRO / 70% Alky mixed with 5 gal 10% alky pump gas.
    replace main jets with #70's set timing to 24 deg btdc you will notice it, get a big prop while your at it!
    Last edited by OUTBOARDER; 09-29-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: techno
    ANTHONY McCULLOCH
    modifiedoutboard@hotmail.com

Some things never change!

They Want it cheap..............

Post Thanks / Like

Wow glad this thread didn't run off on a different tangent

Thread Information