Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is a Hong Kong Prop?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is a Hong Kong Prop?

Hey Ron, I found this ad in an old ROOSTERTAIL. JAN/FEB 1971. I didn't know so thought I would ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, Now That You Asked...

Ted May was the funniest guy I ever knew. Steve Martin was my neighbor and we actaully dated the same "CHICK", in Garden Grove. Trust me when I say Ted was funnier than Steve Martin....

Ted May, bought Cary Props from the DeSilva Boys. They came with a "LIFETIME" Guarantee. Ted started thinning out the props, to make them faster, and the blades started flying off.

It was about this time, that we decided that chroming props made them stronger. Ted learned that chroming the props also hid his grinding marks.

Cary props were made from "Sheffield Steel" which rusted like hell.. In my later years, I decided that Sheffield Steel wasn't much different that sewer pipe iron.

Cary also made brass props than were cheaper than the steel ones, and much thicker. Ted started thinning the brass wheels and chroming them..Where the Cary prop said, "Made in Italy". Ted ground off Cary, and stamped "HONG KONG"....So the props said, "Made in Hong Kong." Ernie Dawe ran one in C Stock Hydro in 1961.

I've spent a lifetime enjoying life..I just thought using Ted's idea was cool...funny thing is no one ever asked about Hong Kong Props except you!!!

I moved from Chase Stree in 1973....32 years ago!

Post Thanks / Like

Ted stories:

One of my fondest memories was going out to dinner on a Sat night after the races, and sitting in a booth with Ted and listening to joke after joke after joke....He kept the room in hysterics!

Another moment I remember is from Indio, CA - Ted and I happened to be walking toward the bathrooms at the same time. Indio was famous for havnig the "date festival" and people dressed as characters from the Middle East. Sitting in front of the building near the entrance was a man sitting on the ground in a white robe with a turban on his head.

Without hesitation, Ted looked down at the guy, then over at me and completely unexpected said with a straight face,

"That's the closest to a Hindu I bin-to!!"

Then he walzed right into the men's room...

Ted's sense of humor was straight-forward and usually completely unexpected. That's what made him so darn funny.

HONG KONG Props -- that's so funny!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Glad I asked.

When Geraldo Riviera opened an old vault all he found was dirt. Out of yours came a couple of good Ted May stories. Wish I could have been around him enough to have heard his jokes.

Sounds like he had the instantaneous wit like Glenn, a friend of mine. He was at a golf tournament when the town gossip came up to him. This guy says to Glenn "what's this about you telling George I was a blabbermouth?" Without hesitation Glenn replied "I didn't tell him....I don't know how he found out."

Thread Information