Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brazilian small boat + 90hp merc. carb. - Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brazilian small boat + 90hp merc. carb. - Help

Staff would like to help one of you with my boat.
    The boat is 15ft bassboat and supports engines up to 115hp.
    Today I am using the prop 13x7/8x26p signature by RON HILL
    The motor is 90hp mercury carb. 2011.
    I jack plate 10" hydraulic bobs machine.
    My best result was 55.1 miles at 5700 rpm.
    This result was the 2800 ft to sea level.

I would like to raise the RPM to at least 6500rpm.
    I bought a BIG FOOT Nose Cone Kit and want to install it but never installed as I'm looking for some photos over the Internet to have a better idea.

What you could direct me to improve my performance!

Best regards

Post Thanks / Like

Default improvrmrnts?

I assume you are after more top speed and will sacrifice other performance for this gain?

Based on the data you provide and using a 2.33:1 gear ratio for the 90hp Merc the theoretical top speed for your rig would be 60.2 mph. That equates to about 8.5% slip. I would say that is pretty close to optimum for the rig but some improvement might be gained. Since you do not say where the prop shaft centerline is relative to the boat bottom and what engine angle you are running there could be improvement there by raising the engine to reduce drag and kick out to further lift the bow.

Also props are as different as _______ so try others. Perhaps less diameter for less hole shot but more top speed due to a bit more rpm. Even more pitch might work if the engine can go higher.

Higher elevation makes for less HP so reduced carb jetting is needed to compensate for less oxygen depending on the altitude above sea level. In your case at 2800 ft I think the standard jetting Merc used is probably OK for up to 3000 ft but you could do research on that with Mercury.

As usual be careful with these high speed runs . I assume you wear a good life jacket and helmut! !
    Last edited by zul8tr; 09-28-2011 at 06:24 AM. Reason: add

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    I assume you are after more top speed and will sacrifice other performance for this gain?

Based on the data you provide and using a 2.33:1 gear ratio for the 90hp Merc the theoretical top speed for your rig would be 60.2 mph. That equates to about 8.5% slip. I would say that is pretty close to optimum for the rig but some improvement might be gained. Since you do not say where the prop shaft centerline is relative to the boat bottom and what engine angle you are running there could be improvement there by raising the engine to reduce drag and kick out to further lift the bow.

Also props are as different as _______ so try others. Perhaps less diameter for less hole shot but more top speed due to a bit more rpm. Even more pitch might work if the engine can go higher.

Higher elevation makes for less HP so reduced carb jetting is needed to compensate for less oxygen depending on the altitude above sea level. In your case at 2800 ft I think the standard jetting Merc used is probably OK for up to 3000 ft but you could do research on that with Mercury.

As usual be careful with these high speed runs . I assume you wear a good life jacket and helmut! !
    I measure the height from the pad.

Later put the measure.

best regards

Post Thanks / Like

1" 1/2 below pad.

Position the TRIM

best regards

Post Thanks / Like

Default improvements

The picture of the 1.5" depth you measured is difficult to determine how you are measuring it. I assume you used a straight edge laid on the botton of the pad and extended toward the rear of the motor and then measured vertically down to the center of the prop shaft at the end where the nut secures the prepellor so you grt the vertical distance from the pad bottom to the center of the end of the prop shaft.. Is that what you did?

Also the trim gage indicates that you are tucked under a bit.from neutral.You need to try trim toward the UP position.

Post Thanks / Like

I put the platform of anti-cavity parallel to the pad.

then took the measure.

Hope that made ​​sure

"Also the trim gage Indicates that you are tucked under bit.from neutral.You need to try to trim Toward the UP position."

I do not understand what you mean

best regards

Post Thanks / Like

Default improvrmrnts

The 1.5" depth measurement clarification is what I thought you did. To reduce drag you can try raising the engine up say 3/4" with the same prop and note the rpms and speed and high speed cornering with more or less slip. In straight runs if rpms increase and speed remains essentially the same the prop is either in transisition zone and no benifit gained or you need more pitch to take advantage of the reduced drag on the lower unit and prop.

As for the trim gage I assume that it has been calibrated to read zero trim or prop shaft level with the bottom pad when the needle points to the center (third hash mark). If not calibrate the trim gage. In the picture the needle appears to be pointing off center toward the DN or down position which is tucked in or prop shaft lower at the end compared to the the front of the shaft.

When testing try different trim angles and note those as well as speed and rpm and other items of interest in your notebook.

If you need more pitch that can be done to your present prop within limits. But I suspect at least an inch can be added with proper bending . If more needed another prop may be needed.

Post a picture of the prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop

Pete
    I looks like the prop is lying on the floor behind the engine.
    David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop

Opps missed that! But a closer pic from several angles would be helpful .

Post Thanks / Like

It is the prop of the ground

Other photos:

it an EAGLE by RON HILL.

the photo of the clock shows the position of TRIM I reached the 55.1 mile

Best regards

Thread Information