Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restored 1982 Karelsen 25SSH

Post Thanks / Like

Default Restored 1982 Karelsen 25SSH

Here is a Karelsen pickle hydro I bought from Ron Selewach (Mr Sidewinder) that he had in his collection that needed some help and it needed to get wet again. Its number is 111-N. I have been running it with the Merc 25SS engine I raced back in 73 to 80 in 25SSH with the 2 blade Pinner props I used. It runs out very well at 60+. Still playing with the setup and props for fun.at AOMCI meets. The photos start with top side varnish and paint in process of removal, hydro bottom pics are after bottom restore with new varnish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I have another 2 blade 25ss prop if interested.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks real good Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Great job! I always liked the lines these boats had.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Super looking project, very nice.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a real nice restoration you did! I'm curious about the design of your boat. Mine has stringers that run the full length inside, as well as crossribs that my kneeboard sits on that run the full width of the boat. It looks like your kneeboard is just sitting on the bottom wood. Is this correct? No additional reinforcement in that area? I'ld feel like I'ld bust through the bottom with the slamming we take on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Karelson structure

Quote Originally Posted by HydroDyn View Post
    That's a real nice restoration you did! I'm curious about the design of your boat. Mine has stringers that run the full length inside, as well as crossribs that my kneeboard sits on that run the full width of the boat. It looks like your kneeboard is just sitting on the bottom wood. Is this correct? No additional reinforcement in that area? I'ld feel like I'ld bust through the bottom with the slamming we take on the water.
    You are correct there are no full stringers from the dash to the transom inside the cockpit area just the 2 in the pic that go foreward to the front. I first thought this unusual and inadaquate. Just the full stringers along the cockpit side coamings of 3/8" aircraft birch ply plus full stringers under the deck That is the way Mr Karelsen built it in 1982. He did a 7mm Okume bottom plus additional 7mm glued and nailed floorboard inside the cockpit area all the way to the dash. Apparently that was strong enough since this boat was actively raced in 25SSH then some lake running until Ron Selewach bought it back in early 2000 I believe. I noticed no bottom distress in areas directly below the floorboard. So I presume he built it strong enough. Note he used Weldwood powered glue water activated so that required excellent carpentry. I did notice that Mr Karelson used Sitka spruce framing and several plywood thicknesses (2, 3, 4, 6, 7 mm and 3/8") depending on weight and water loading condiotions so he paid carefull attention to the materials.

In my restoration I could not get the floorboard to look good for varnish so I added a piece of 6mm Okume about 2/3 of the cockpit length from transom then reduced to 3mm Okume to the dash.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop

Quote Originally Posted by KG4 View Post
    I have another 2 blade 25ss prop if interested.
    Thanks I will keep that in mind after I play with the 3- 25ss Pinners that I have from my racing days. Do you know the pitch, diameter and maker of the prop?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Restoration

Thanks to all for the complements, much apprecuated.Restorations can be more work that a new build, it"s like a box of chocolets since you never know what to expect.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great work

Exceptional work on the hydro. Good luck with running it. Hope to see it at an AOMCI meet one day.

Alan

Thread Information