Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Six Hours of Paris: A History Thread

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo MCConnell and Don Pruett in Paris 6 Hour pit area.

Photo is early 1970s.
    Name:  Paris 6 Hour pit area.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  220.0 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris Six Hour 1972, article & photos.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris Six Hour 1972, article & photos page 2 of 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo and I Finished Third n1972...

I have often wondered how far we were behind....Six hours is a long race.

Ted May and I drove together in 1968, when it was over we were awarded third, though we always figured we were second. Coke was a dollar a bottle ad wine was 50 cents. When the race ended I was thirsty but only had 50 cents in my pocket. So, I bought a bottle of wine. Ann Strang came along and saw me drinking out of the bottle ow wine (Ann was Chralie Strang mother and Charlie ran OMC and OMC RACING.) Ann said, "Are you celebrating?" I said, "Yes, I'm celebrating I'm still alive. Those Mercury guys were 20 miles an hour faster than us...and with all the crazy people racing out there, I'm celebrating I'm alive." Ann said, "Give me a drink."

An never liked Mercury to beat us, but she also knew I didn't like to lose no matter what motor I was running...OMC (Ann Stang) was very good to me those ten years I raced for OMC...As, I know that Ann liked me is why I raced for OMC...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Boat #11 riding high & dry in 1972 Paris Six Hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Ron are you driving an offshore ocean boat, or is this the boat-angle you elect to drive at?
    Possibly this is to keep your self dry from the water spray.
    No wonder you finished third.

Name:  Ron Hill Paris '72 article 1 of 2.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  129.6 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1972 Paris 6hour Prize presentation.

Ted May and I drove together in 1968, when it was over we were awarded third, though we always figured we were second. Coke was a dollar a bottle ad wine was 50 cents. When the race ended I was thirsty but only had 50 cents in my pocket. So, I bought a bottle of wine. Ann Strang came along and saw me drinking out of the bottle ow wine (Ann was Chralie Strang mother and Charlie ran OMC and OMC RACING.) Ann said, "Are you celebrating?" I said, "Yes, I'm celebrating I'm still alive. Those Mercury guys were 20 miles an hour faster than us...and with all the crazy people racing out there, I'm celebrating I'm alive." Ann said, "Give me a drink."

An never liked Mercury to beat us, but she also knew I didn't like to lose no matter what motor I was running...OMC (Ann Stang) was very good to me those ten years I raced for OMC...As, I know that Ann liked me is why I raced for OMC...
    That would be the last time that i saw you Ron Hill it was at the Prize giving after the Paris 6hr race in 72 we were standing behind Ron and Jimbo we finished in 5th place.Ron can you remember one of your prizes was a 3hp Johnson outboard i always wondered which one of you kept it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Ain't Never Had a 3hp Johnson, If That Means Anything

I'm not sure Jimbo ever ended up with one either. By October of 1972, I was 28 years old and had raced for 17 years. In 1967, I'd won more than a year's salary winning Havasu and I also got a lot that was worth about a year's salary.

I was getting tired of the travel, my daughter was born on the day of the 6 Hours of Paris, 1973. When I left Paris, 1972, I was pretty much done. My dreams of boat racing being huge were fading. America had gone to single engines, I thought Europe should have gone to twins.

I don't recall if there was a Berlin race in 1972. Seems I left after Paris and went home. Jimbo and I had won Berlin 1970. Scotti and I drove together in Berlin 1971. We didn't last long....and I was glad to head back to Calfornia (My boat had ice in the seat the morning of the Berlin 6 Hour and I don't do cold well).

So, bottom line: I never sasw a 3 HP Johnson from Paris 1972.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure Jimbo ever ended up with one either. By October of 1972, I was 28 years old and had raced for 17 years. In 1967, I'd won more than a year's salary winning Havasu and I also got a lot that was worth about a year's salary.

I was getting tired of the travel, my daughter was born on the day of the 6 Hours of Paris, 1973. When I left Paris, 1972, I was pretty much done. My dreams of boat racing being huge were fading. America had gone to single engines, I thought Europe should have gone to twins.

I don't recall if there was a Berlin race in 1972. Seems I left after Paris and went home. Jimbo and I had won Berlin 1970. Scotti and I drove together in Berlin 1971. We didn't last long....and I was glad to head back to Calfornia (My boat had ice in the seat the morning of the Berlin 6 Hour and I don't do cold well).

So, bottom line: I never sasw a 3 HP Johnson from Paris 1972.
    I know that we went to Berlin as Geoff & I were to co-drive as Lou Eppel wanted Art Kennedy, Geoff & myself to drive. I refused and Jim Briggs concurred. Art didn't finish the race in Paris after hitting the seawall so I got back in & finished. I can't recall what happened in Berlin, but my recollection is that it was cancelled due to extreme winds, cold weatrher & rough water.

Post Thanks / Like

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Paris 6 Hours 1979.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Thread Information