Quote Originally Posted by filthy phill View Post
thanks joe. I had never heard of it before.

I have been toying with the idea of going to a fully synthetic oil for my outboards, and with fully synth being a bit thinner would run that at 40 to 1 rather than 50 to 1 ( I am thinking the crank needs more than the top end )

Not many fully synthetics around that have the tcw3 specs though.
But I have found a fully synthetic oil in the uk at a realy good price compared to marine branded names that I am seriously thinking about using..

what it realy boils down to is what exactly are we supposed to be looking for in a good oil ?
do we use the JASO FD, API TC ISO EGD specifications or the TC-W3 specifications, surely any oil that meets these TC-W3 standard should be good for any outboard motor. ?

the Label on the container that I have found says "5 Litres of Fully Synthetic Marine 2 Stroke Oil TC-W3" and lower down says " Product Specifications:API: TD NMMA: TC-W3" and its GREEN in colour.
here is another part of what is on the can..

A high performance Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil formulated for use in water cooled outboard engines using premix or injection systems.
Designed using powerful detergents to help give a clean burn and reduce engine deposits.
Suitable for use in Tohatsu, Mercury, Suzuki, Evinrude, Johnson, Mariner, Seagull, Selva, Yamaha Engines.

Question is , does this sound like a good enough oil for my evinrude 56 running at normal cruising speeds and the occasional wot throttle runs. ?
is the fully synthetic a better option than old fashioned mineral based oil for my motor ?

according to the specs its a good oil ?
For your vintage '56 Erude service engine at cruise and some WOT any name brand name TCWIII will do you well. I use Pennzoil Marine XLF semi syn, burns fairly clean and I use it at 16:1 with E free gas in my vintage race engines that see 7000 and I have had them since the '70's and still mechanically in great shape. Higher revs need more oil and oil is cheaper than parts for me. For you 40:1 or 32:1 will do no harm with a quality brand TCWIII. IMO expensive 100% syn is not necessary for your service engine. Oils blended for Injection are thinner for modern engine requirements, I prefer the non injection higher viscosity oils for the vintage non fueli engines. Your choice.