Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What 2 stroke oil yall runnin?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, the old Ford 352. I recall (when I worked in a junkyard) trying to get their distributors out without breaking them.

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys, 57 Fords with 312s were turds. I had a 57 BelAir hardtop that originally was a light 6 cylinder car. I scrounged up a 57 Chevy 283 and trans and never had an issue with a 57 Ford. Of course not all 283s were born equal. I got mine out of a miserable looking 59 Chevy and the guy I bought that from got it from a crashed Corvette. It was the 270 hp model with dual quads and came with a neat 4 speed tranny. I left the motor stock save for a Mallory ignition and a set of headers. The trans was a favorite plaything that could be removed on the ground in less than 10 minutes when I got good at it. I played around with the synchronizers and blockers and got it so I could shift full power without the clutch. And found a 4:11 posi rear end. Even had some slicks for a time until it rained on the way back from a race at Neosho. Eventually I wanted something nicer so I found a really cherry 57 that was a twin. Eventually the running gear from the first was put in the new one and a set of American mags with Goodyear BlueStreaks. Even though this body was undercoated and heavier, 57 Fords never were a problem.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The oil pump on ours locked up at one point and took out the distributor too. This was in a Ranch Wagon and the only things that didn't break on that car were the trans and differential. It was a terrible car, but my dad said anyone can build a lemon but when Ford couldn't fix the valve spring problem, it was his last. A few years later my mom wanted a Mustang real bad and my dad said no way in hell. She LOVED the 67 Barracuda she got instead.
    kk

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to find the BRP stuff on why API TC oil in Seadoos, it is a good read
    EDIT http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/oil/oil.htm
    and
    http://www.klemmvintage.com/oils.htm

I think we learnt we need to feed TCW-III through the idle jets and castor through the main jets?

Post Thanks / Like

Yamahalube "R" dirty, expensive, and slippery

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    We need to find the BRP stuff on why API TC oil in Seadoos, it is a good read
    EDIT http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/oil/oil.htm
    and
    http://www.klemmvintage.com/oils.htm

I think we learnt we need to feed TCW-III through the idle jets and castor through the main jets?

Thanks for the excellent articles and great thinking: Your suggestion for dual oil feed makes fantastic sense!

This effect was accomplished in my turbo OMC as a by-product of fuel selection: At pressure switch opens a solenoid allowing a mix of methanol & 18% castor oil into the intake stream for enrichment/cooling. The only reason mix was used is because it's readily available in hobby stores as FAI (zero nitro) glow plug fuel (straight methanol is hard to find in small quantities).

The articles agree with the benefits of castor oil at high temps/pressures, so it now makes sense why the pistons are intact after 5+ boost hours (after 2 blown head gaskets); I had expected them to go away long before. A side benefit of this injection method is that the castor is washed away with TCW3 at lower power settings before every shutdown.

It will be interesting to see what the pieces look like upon disassembly this winter.

Gotta love the power of the internet and enthusiasts. Thanks again!

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you could accomplish this with some kind of fuel valve on the throttle and have 2 pumps so you have 2 supplies?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel density

I wonder if you could accomplish this with some kind of fuel valve on the throttle and have 2 pumps so you have 2 supplies?
    Possible, but gasoline burns at about 12.5:1 fuel-air, methanol at about 7:1. How do you propose to make up the difference in flow required?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

one pump runs mix but is cut off as soon as the throttle is opened and then the other pump that has been pumping to a stopped head can feed the carbs.
    Assuming main jet is only sized for the alcohol?
    will this work or do I need to think more?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oops!

one pump runs mix but is cut off as soon as the throttle is opened and then the other pump that has been pumping to a stopped head can feed the carbs.
    Assuming main jet is only sized for the alcohol?
    will this work or do I need to think more?
    Sorry, but I sent the wrong information. So much for short term memory! See below:

Gasoline - Gasoline is what most of our cars came setup so it's usually what we stick with. Gasoline is a mixture of hydrocarbons. The petroleum distillate fraction termed "gasoline" contains mostly saturated hydrocarbons usually with a chemical formula of C8H18. The air fuel ratio, A/F Ratio, for complete combustion is 14.7:1, stoichiometric. The A/F ratio for maximum power is approximately 12.5:1 - 12.8:1. This means that our engine at max power, 12.8:1, consumes 12.8 pounds of air for 1 pound of fuel. Gasoline has approximately 18,400 BTU/lb . Using the air flow calculator with the default inputs we get our 355 SBC consumes 567.53 cfm @ 6500rpm which is 42.64 pounds of air and consumes 2.89 pounds of fuel. Therefore if we are using gasoline our engine is producing 53,176 BTU's of energy at 6500 rpm.

Alcohol (Methanol) - Alcohol is usually used in the form of Methyl alcohol or methanol. CH3OH is the chemical formula. Methanol burns at a much richer mixture than gasoline does, between 5.0:1 - 6.0:1. That's 5 lbs of air to one pound of fuel. Methanol has approximately 9,500 BTU/lb. Using our 355, example above, SBC consumes 567.53 cfm @ 6500rpm which is 42.64 pounds of air and now at 6.0:1 ratio for Methanol is 7.11 pounds of fuel. Therefore if we are using Methanol fuel our engine is producing 67,545 BTU's of energy at 6500 rpm.

If jetted for methanol and switched to gasoline, the engine would struggle with the extreme over-rich condition. A twin jet system, two separate carburetion systems, or better yet, twin fuel injection systems would be needed to overcome the challenge.

Thread Information