Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: What 2 stroke oil yall runnin?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filthy phill View Post
    thanks joe. I had never heard of it before.

I have been toying with the idea of going to a fully synthetic oil for my outboards, and with fully synth being a bit thinner would run that at 40 to 1 rather than 50 to 1 ( I am thinking the crank needs more than the top end )

Not many fully synthetics around that have the tcw3 specs though.
    But I have found a fully synthetic oil in the uk at a realy good price compared to marine branded names that I am seriously thinking about using..

what it realy boils down to is what exactly are we supposed to be looking for in a good oil ?
    do we use the JASO FD, API TC ISO EGD specifications or the TC-W3 specifications, surely any oil that meets these TC-W3 standard should be good for any outboard motor. ?

the Label on the container that I have found says "5 Litres of Fully Synthetic Marine 2 Stroke Oil TC-W3" and lower down says " Product Specifications:API: TD NMMA: TC-W3" and its GREEN in colour.
    here is another part of what is on the can..

A high performance Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil formulated for use in water cooled outboard engines using premix or injection systems.
    Designed using powerful detergents to help give a clean burn and reduce engine deposits.
    Suitable for use in Tohatsu, Mercury, Suzuki, Evinrude, Johnson, Mariner, Seagull, Selva, Yamaha Engines.

Question is , does this sound like a good enough oil for my evinrude 56 running at normal cruising speeds and the occasional wot throttle runs. ?
    is the fully synthetic a better option than old fashioned mineral based oil for my motor ?

according to the specs its a good oil ?
    For your vintage '56 Erude service engine at cruise and some WOT any name brand name TCWIII will do you well. I use Pennzoil Marine XLF semi syn, burns fairly clean and I use it at 16:1 with E free gas in my vintage race engines that see 7000 and I have had them since the '70's and still mechanically in great shape. Higher revs need more oil and oil is cheaper than parts for me. For you 40:1 or 32:1 will do no harm with a quality brand TCWIII. IMO expensive 100% syn is not necessary for your service engine. Oils blended for Injection are thinner for modern engine requirements, I prefer the non injection higher viscosity oils for the vintage non fueli engines. Your choice.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I see what your saying about the thinner oil of the fully synthetic not realy being a benefit to the older type of 2 strokes.
    I dont run the vro as dont like that and I prefer to run normally at 50 to 1 pre-mix, its ok for just running around at about 35 to 30mph, but when off the plane the smell of the old mercury premium
    is something I am not too keen on.
    I did have a couple of years ( a long while back) running motul smokelss 2 stroke outboard oil and it realy did not give off much smell, but that stuff is like twice the price of premium plus per gallon.
    We get realy clobbered over here for 2 stroke oil and add the marine bit an up it goes by another 25%.

what I might do is get some of the oil I have been looking at today and see what its like , this one is a mineral based 2 stroke, its fairly cheap but has some very good reviews .
    they will sell from 1 litre bottles to 1,000 litre tanks of it.
    the particular oil company who makes it has some pretty decent customers, BMW, VOLVO, CUMMINS, Mercedes, massey ferguson, Renault etc, so it seems a pretty good pedigree behind it.

company is EXOL and the oils I am looking at are their MARINE TWO STROKE TC-W3 (M154) Amber colour, and their MARINE TWO STROKE TC-W3 (BLUE) ()

M298 Appearance- Dark blue
    Specific Gravity @ 15.6°C- 0.880
    Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C -(cSt) 8.51
    Flash Point (°C)- 120
    .................................................. .....................................
    M154 Appearance- Amber colour
    Flash Point (°C)- 120

both oils seem to have exactly the same spec, I will be contacting Exol to find out what the differences are and ask if they have PTFE in the oils.

Both have the Tc-w3 and all the other NMMA API TD SPECS.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 stroke oil

Quote Originally Posted by filthy phill View Post
    Yeah I see what your saying about the thinner oil of the fully synthetic not realy being a benefit to the older type of 2 strokes.
    I dont run the vro as dont like that and I prefer to run normally at 50 to 1 pre-mix, its ok for just running around at about 35 to 30mph, but when off the plane the smell of the old mercury premium
    is something I am not too keen on.
    I did have a couple of years ( a long while back) running motul smokelss 2 stroke outboard oil and it realy did not give off much smell, but that stuff is like twice the price of premium plus per gallon.
    We get realy clobbered over here for 2 stroke oil and add the marine bit an up it goes by another 25%.

what I might do is get some of the oil I have been looking at today and see what its like , this one is a mineral based 2 stroke, its fairly cheap but has some very good reviews .
    they will sell from 1 litre bottles to 1,000 litre tanks of it.
    the particular oil company who makes it has some pretty decent customers, BMW, VOLVO, CUMMINS, Mercedes, massey ferguson, Renault etc, so it seems a pretty good pedigree behind it.

company is EXOL and the oils I am looking at are their MARINE TWO STROKE TC-W3 (M154) Amber colour, and their MARINE TWO STROKE TC-W3 (BLUE) ()

M298 Appearance- Dark blue
    Flash Point (°C)- 120
    .................................................. .....................................
    M154 Appearance- Amber colour
    Flash Point (°C)- 120

both oils seem to have exactly the same spec, I will be contacting Exol to find out what the differences are and ask if they have PTFE in the oils.

Both have the Tc-w3 and all the other NMMA API TD SPECS.
    PTFE? that Teflon additive in 2 stroke oil is new to me. I would prefer not to have that additive in there on a steel bore engine. Post what the diff is between 154 and 298. The last time I saw chem tests on the Mercury Premium Plus it was loaded with Molybdenum disulfide and some have complained it is a dirty sooty oil. I use to use it and it required their Quickleen additive they recommend to keep the carbon down. With the Pennzoil Marine XLF no issues burns very clean and I run 16:1 in the vintage race engines but high revs keeps it clean.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

API TC is the only remaining, not revoked classification of the API Two-Cycle motor oil specifications. URL: wikipedia.org/wiki/API-TC
    Modern advanced two-stroke oil will use API TC+ (to impress ?)

I found these:

MPM Marine TC-W3 Oil 2-Stroke High Performance Biodegradable

API TC+
    CEC L-33-T-82 > 80%
    NMMA TC-W3

Specific Gravity @ 15°C - 0,897 kg/l
    Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C - 47 mm²/s
    Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C - 8,5 mm²/s
    Viscosity Index- 170
    Flash Point - 105 °C
    Total Base nummer - 9,6 mgKOH/g

But this is what has always been used:

Kroon-Oil ATLANTIC 2T OUTBOARD

NMMA TC-W3

Specific Gravity @ 15°C - 0,870 kg/l
    Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C - 35,6 mm²/s
    Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C - 6,29 mm²/s
    Viscosity Index- 126
    Flash Point - 107 °C
    Total Base nummer- 8,7 mgKOH/g

I am not yet sure I will switch...
    • If you're still in control, you're not going fast enough

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Kroon brand is good oil, it is SHELL oil..
    Kroon are just the marketing and sales of oils and lubricants in Holland and a good few other countries.
    Likes Full Speed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I run Lucas 40:1 in a 95 stock OMC 50 twin. Actually gained 75 rpm.

Thread Information