Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1988 70 omc dies when put in gear

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1988 70 omc dies when put in gear

I got a 56 ci looper that i bought with the understanding it dies when put in gear. Compression is decent and even. I popped the carbs off today to drop in the soaker adn will rebuild them, however, am curious before i put back together if this is common and should i be looking at something else. I used to call old ron baker about this kind of stuff. Sure miss him.

Ronny jetmore

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    my 2 hole looper did that 'til I pulled out all 6 welsh plugs in the 2 carbs and used an ultrasonic cleaner to get way down deep into the carb to clean it!

Post Thanks / Like

We used to get that when owners would let the fuel stay in the carbs and they would gum up on the low speed jets....Boil them, blow them, should go fine.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not as optimistic as the two previous replies, This is usually not a good sign.
    Compression checks on these are often deceptive...I would pull the head and take a look if I was you and see what you got, only gonna cost you a head gasket maybe save you a lot of time putzing with the fuel system.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default carbon-o-rator problems

Quote Originally Posted by PIP View Post
    I got a 56 ci looper that i bought with the understanding it dies when put in gear. Compression is decent and even. I popped the carbs off today to drop in the soaker adn will rebuild them, however, am curious before i put back together if this is common and should i be looking at something else. I used to call old ron baker about this kind of stuff. Sure miss him.

Ronny jetmore
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................
    What if the idle speed was set a nice smooth slow R.P.M. in NEUTRAL? Then guess what ? put it in gear and the engine dies. The idle needs to be set in forward gear. I guess some hard heads might set it in neutral about 150-200 rpm higher so it don't die when shifted into farward, but that don't seem correct to me . Just my 2 centavos worth.

Post Thanks / Like

might also look to the gear case if everything is working. Guys always over look the gear case.Check for metal in the lube or chunks good luck!!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

other than a carb problem
    do a leak down test, low crankcase pulse makes it look like a carb problem but it may not be.
    Effects loopers more then crossflows due to the weak crank pulse at low speed

Post Thanks / Like

I usuly find it in the timming, do a complete sync&link.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's some good answers that unfortunately don't point the same direction. I think Roys idle in gear answer is good & add the idle should be set in water on boat. Its a good idea to look at the bores and to confirm crank case compression as either can lead to weak running at low R's. Then the lower unit, it should be confirmed to be ok before the carbs are blamed. Timing, sync & the point where the follower cam starts opening the carbs as well could cause weak idle power. Its likely only one of them is the cause but not a bad idea to check em all.

Post Thanks / Like

Default cpmpression

what are the compression numbers.. i had a problem like this years ago.i readjusted the carb linkage and replaced one coil, could be a carb problem,maybe someone forgot to reinstall the little washer gasket..
    out front again

Thread Information