Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Depue Reunion

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

OKAY Guys. Now soliciting donations for the silent auction. Please tell us what you can donate for this very worthy cause at the reunion. Ron has posted two items he will offer up, and now I will follow up with some items I am putting up. It would be great if you could post a picture as well, but if not.....well, tell us what it is.

The first item I have will be a new computer printed version of the Bob Hering flip sequence I took in 1976 and as was published in Powerboat that year. There are seven in the set. I will decide on whether or not to add an additional one that is mostly spray. The historical thing about this was that Bob drove Mercs when he lifted off. As near as I can remember, when he came back to racing he was driving an OMC. This was the flip also that led everyone to buying SafeJacs and cutting them up to fit under life jackets and racing styles.

Second is a windbreaker owned by Liz Dortch. Johnny and Liz were both honorary Texans and came to race with us many times. A few months before Liz passed away she asked Johnny to send the windbreaker back to me with some other stuff he was sending. I treasure it as coming from my friend, but I still have several used ones. This was is in immaculate condition and because of the historical value, I wanted to offer it up. The other historical factor is that Lone Star Boat Racing Association was around before NOA and was it's own sanctioning body. It lasted until the mid nineteen eighties. Steve Jones and I worked up the design and had around a hundred made I believe. The stitching on the patch is of the highest quality as is the windbreaker material. It is a tight heavy weave, not a flimsy piece of plastic.

The final item this go around is selected photos from my autograph collection. These are photos I took, and many are rejects for publishing, but when I started this collection, I didn't have time to go into the darkroom before a race. I just grabbed some that had already been printed before heading out for a race. What I was after was the autograph. I got this idea too late in my career to get many that I wished I had now, but I a grateful for the ones I have. My collection has grown too big for me to duplicate all of them, so I will hand pick ones from around the country that I think anyone would be proud to have. They will be in plastic sleeves in a three ring leather looking vinyl binder like the one I have my collection in. You can't see it in the first picture because the binder is larger than the scanner screen, but in the second, you can get the idea. It will have a zipper to protect the photos and the sleeves will be archival quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reunion

I urge everyone to make payment using PayPal. However, payments made so far have been made as purchases. Doing so, PayPal deducts their fee, so we are receiving less then the $40 registration fee. When you make paypal payment, there are 2 side by side boxes. The one on the left says "purchases" the one to the right says "personal". Click on personal & then make payment. No fees are deducted.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you Wayne & John

Wayne,

Thanks for jumping in with the auction items. Not sure I want to auction the Z prototype at the Reunion. If I do, there will be a minimum on the motor. A couple collectors have offered me cash, but I've turned them down for purely sentimental reasons. It's the only motor I've received to date. Hopefully the promise of more will come through, if not HEY at least I have one

John, the electronic registration and payment doesn't seem to be working well for most. My registration, along with Rebel's was mailed and the check. My reservations are also made. In my opinion, the old fashion way sometimes works just as well as the age of "tech"... even if it is slower. I think many folks are just plain busy, and many are still racing and others are just doing the best they can and hoping they will make it to the reunion.

It's great to have the shirts, hats, hog and beer ---- but for me it's everyone getting together at Nationals, and sharing stories, cold beer, tea, soda, snow cones sleeping in the pits and caring not if I eat baloney and cheese sandwiches, or purchase from DePue venders. Everyone I talk to is coming, and just slow to send stuff in due to family, work, finances and care giving reasons.

I'm coming unless health prevents, which I don't anticipate.
    "Sis"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reunion registration

It does seem that if you are not using Outlook as your e-mail operating system, the hyperlink process will not work. There are two ways to do it otherwise. Download the form, fill it out & send to the address on the form. You can still paypal the proceeds or send a check.

The other way is to down load the form, fill it out, scan it & e-mail it to the e-mail address on the form that is the address that starts with brucenshirley. You then can paypal the fee or send a check to the address on the form.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not put that motor up Karen. That would be asking too much. Your direct ties to such a historical piece make it a one of a kind item. It's the same as me not offering my Marshall Grant D. Some day, some collector will own it after I'm gone (I hope), but for now I like to look at it. I hope we get more items coming in, but I would never expect anyone to put up a keepsake.

I'll find that link again John and download the form, and send it to Shirley.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depue Reunion Hotel

Just a reminder that those who are attending the reunion, we have a block of rooms reserved at a discounted rate at the LaQuinta , Peru, Il. At the same exit we used to take to go to the Holiday Inn that was race headquarters in those days. It's boarded up now. The LaQuinta is near the exit south of I 80. Mention "Boat Racers Reunion" when making your reservation.

Please, if you haven't registered, please do so as soon as you can.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I would not put that motor up Karen. That would be asking too much. Your direct ties to such a historical piece make it a one of a kind item. It's the same as me not offering my Marshall Grant D. Some day, some collector will own it after I'm gone (I hope), but for now I like to look at it. I hope we get more items coming in, but I would never expect anyone to put up a keepsake.

I'll find that link again John and download the form, and send it to Shirley.
    I agree with Wayne. Do not offer it as a auction. Things like this don't come available too often. It is a great piece of our racing history. ...Bob N-96
    Bob Rusnak

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to add though, do bring it with you so we can see it.

Allen J. Lang

Sis, I have to agree with both Bob and Wayne. Bring it for show, but, make sure it also goes home with you. Memories tied with the engine can not be replaced. I sold all my race equipment when I left racing and still regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Registrations Shirley has received as of 03-12- 2012

These are the registration forms, and email Commitments Shirley has received as of 03-12-2012:

Tom Berry, John Schubert, Randy Siebring "Rebel", Karen Cadle, "sis", Ralph Donald, June Perry, Charley Bradley, Bruce & Shirley Summers, Duke Johnson, Bob Rusnak, Ray Rodda, Alan Ishii.

If you mailed, or sent your registration form, and you are not listed in the contact sheet, please contact John Schubert or Shirley Summers via email or phone so any timing issues, and/or inadvertent "fouled plugs" can be changed

Don't forget we are broken down ole' boat racers, and volunteers --- that "jump the gun", "foul some plugs", and don't "crank over" as easy as we used to!

Hugs to all, and sincere thanks.
    "Sis"

Thread Information