Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for D Utility-"ish" 16' Runabout Plans

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the Raveau I like as far as layout and overall design, but I'd rather my boat have a more modern looking angular bow like the bow of the C7 utility raceboat in the bottom pic. BTW, can anyone tell me more about this hull? I don't remember where I got the pic from and I haven't been able to find it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat plans

Quote Originally Posted by FlatRacer View Post
    I like this hull. How long is it, and could it handle a Mark 78A?

Eric
    The boat plans say it's 13'. I ran a MK75H clone that I built on a 13' Sid-Craft "D" Hornet pepro but had a difficult time tturning it because of high center of gravity of the motor. It had a 15" tower & 13" transom height. If you have a 20" tower on your 78A you'll have an even more difficult time turning unless you run it deep but then you'll be dragging the gear case which will be deep in the water. If I were you, I'd take those plans & stretch it out to 15' & be sure that I had a 15" drive shaft housing.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    I had known Sid from 1953 up through the 70's having raced his first 3 point hydro that he built for me in 1956 and his first tunnel that he built for me & team T*A*R*T & my father raced his first runabout with a KE7 in 1948. Because of this & having seen his boats through the years & that he was an engineer in the then air craft industry with many innovations, I can attest that that bow & shape of his boat was his. Sid would never copy as many did including Kelly. When Sid went to the 1955 Devils Lake nationals with Johnny Wehrle where Johnny was soundly beat by the Caulkins boats, Sid came home & immediately re-designed the bath tub runabout & thus is when the first Hornet came out. That test boat became my brothers. Even the Hornet had bow lines as the earlier boats did, but didn't look anything like the Caulkins. Thereafter the Sid's could beat the Caulkins as I believe Lee Sutter even had a Sid. In 1959 Johnny Schedel went to the nationals in your area, can't remember the exact place and won in "DU" with a Hornet.
    John,

Cool history...... Lee did have a Caulkins.... then he got a Sid.

The 1959 SO Nationals were at Green Lake, which is right in the center of Seattle.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Hurricane

bye
    Last edited by curbman; 11-09-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[I have a feeling I'm going to regret posting this but ...]

Hi FlatRacer;

I originally had a Mark 78 (long) on my second generation Raveau Bomb. Yes it looked nice, but didn't come close to turning the speeds I wanted. High 30's maybe, and my alum/Honda 50 rig, which topped out at 39.6GPS ran about neck & neck with it (the horrors!):

Could have been a weak motor ... flat bottom versus Bob's design, weights, etc. Whatever. It's gone and the Raveau is now pushed by a Yammie 90 (repeat, the horrors!). 56.6MPH GPS so far, with my fatazz in the seat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight, Ray. Yeah, I wouldn't expect the Mark 78 to push it very fast because after all, it's only supposed to make 70hp. I'd guess the aluminum boat would be quite a bit lighter than the Raveau.

I'm not really looking to get that much speed out of the rig anyway. If I feel the need for speed, I'd just dump the Biesemeyer in the lake and terrorize the neighbors! Since I have the raceboat, I don't feel the need to extract every last mph out of our other boats. I have an old 18' V-drive Donzi that has a very mild 200 hp 5.0 Ford in it. It only goes 52 mph. I could easily get a lot more speed out of it with a stout small block, but why? It skis all day on a tank of gas, and it's fast enough for 99% of my passengers.

No, I'm looking for more of a relaxing early morning, after dinner smooth "glide across the glassy water" experience out of it. Although I am curious to know if it would be possible to build a FrankenMerc out of a 150 powerhead hidden inside a Mark 78A cowl (???)

Ray, while I have you "on the line", can I ask you, does your Raveau have a V bottom, and if so, do you happen to know what the deadrise angle is? Just curious.

Eric

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight, Ray. Yeah, I wouldn't expect the Mark 78 to push it very fast because after all, it's only supposed to make 70hp. I'd guess the aluminum boat would be quite a bit lighter that the Raveau.
    I estimated the two boats to be about 175lbs apart, if I remember correctly.
    I'm looking for more of a relaxing early morning, after dinner smooth "glide across the glassy water" experience out of it.
    The Raveau / Mark 78 package was very much a "glide across the glassy water" sensation, I have to admit.
    Although I am curious to know if it would be possible to build a FrankenMerc out of a 150 powerhead hidden inside a Mark 78A cowl?
    Looks like those who are very much in the know say no - wish I had their (and your) skills in those departments! I might, down the road, change power back to an inline, but I would need to build a knowledge base / comfort-level first.
    Ray, while I have you "on the line", can I ask you, does your Raveau have a V bottom, and if so, do you happen to know what the deadrise angle is? Just curious.

Eric
    Eric, I'll try and get you a rough number this weekend (trailer bunks are in the way).

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raveau Bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Downes View Post
    I estimated the two boats to be about 175lbs apart, if I remember correctly.

The Raveau / Mark 78 package was very much a "glide across the glassy water" sensation, I have to admit.

Looks like those who are very much in the know say no - wish I had their (and your) skills in those departments! I might, down the road, change power back to an inline, but I would need to build a knowledge base / comfort-level first.

Eric, I'll try and get you a rough number this weekend (trailer bunks are in the way).
    Here are a couple of pictures of the way Bob Walwork has built the bottoms of his current Raveaus.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Daytona John also posted a Raveau bottom picture in a thread over on the "John's Old Mercury" forum:

http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB...php?f=15&t=408

If you're willing to dig, there are Raveau pictures buried in various areas within the Vintage Race Boat Shop website photo archive:

http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/V...ventPhotos.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Things I Know......

This is the Raveau I like as far as layout and overall design, but I'd rather my boat have a more modern looking angular bow like the bow of the C7 utility raceboat in the bottom pic. BTW, can anyone tell me more about this hull? I don't remember where I got the pic from and I haven't been able to find it again.
    I sometimes amaze myself....But the C7 was built by Wade Terrill for Pete DeLackner. I don't think Pete ever got around to running it and he sold it to Steve Cox. Steve called me and wanted a prop, and because I probably got him into racing fifty years ago, I gave him a prop or two.

He drove it around the lake a few times and sold it.

I can say this, it is basically a SCALED up De Silva and Dave Byran has all the frame patterns for DeSilva runabouts. Ralph DeSilva is about 90 or 92, living in Georgia, he'd probably help anyone with design work.

Tim Webber and Ralph are close. Email me and I'll forward it to Tim...

C-205 is an 11 foot DeSilva. This is Sparks, Nevada, 1966. 96-C is me in a Hill Runabout....one of the 25 or more boats my dad and I built.

19-C is a 13 foot DeSilva.

Thread Information