Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Man, One Motor

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I could be mistaken, but..........................

I seem to remember the first 350CC 2 cyl opposed Yamato I saw the inside of had offset combustion chambers, and it also had "flat top" pistons. Maybe something that goes together in engine design?? I don't think there were that many made, so maybe that one was a "one off". I think it belonged to the Brinkmans or possibly Kay Harrison. I do remember they had lots of problems keeping it from trying to tear itself apart horizonally as the case had been welded a number of times and it was also a BEAR to crank, kind of like a D Konig.

ADD

Dean:

Re your remark about sounding like a used car salesman

Some years before John Dortch passed away and when he was advertising some equipment for sale, part of the ad read, in addition to a description of the equipment, "only run on weekends and Sunday", so you were not the first on to sound that way!

Post Thanks / Like

According to Gordon Jennings, offset combustion chambers and spark plug locations help dissipate heat and add turbulence ... adding power without the associated drawback of higher compression or compensating for very high compression (basically making the motor run cooler and calmer)
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam:

I had a Jennings book at one time but can't seem to find it now. Does he say anything about the relationship between offset combustion chambers and flat top pistons? I can't remember ever seeing offset chambers in anything but engines with flat top pistons and was wondering if there was some connection that made that type chamber work better with that type piston. Or at least most of the modern engines that have domed pistons have a centrally located chamber, that I have seen anyway.

I had some Honda RS125R pistons (domed) for sale a few weeks ago that were for a 125 that was made out of Honda cylinders from one of their road racing bikes. I had a question from a potential buyer as to whether the pistons were domed or flat top, so evidently Honda made both types for this (later) model engine. I have no information as to whether the head used with the flat top pistons had an offset combustion chamber, but that makes me curious now.

Post Thanks / Like

Honda pistons??

What does this have to do with Wayne Walgrave or 6 cyl Loopers?

Good question, just wrong thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blame Henri Coandă

The Coanda effect (see your friendly Wiki place) is one reason for offsetting the combustion chamber. This is especially true for cylinders with finger ports--or "puff ports" as we called them. Offsetting the chamber toward the back of the cylinder most likely results in a cleaner scavenge of the combustion chamber as the air/fuel charge travels up the back side of the cylinder wall and directly into the chamber. These offset chambers also had a generous bevel on the side nearest exhaust port to aid scavenging flow.

I recall testing several combustion chamber configurations and the offset type pulled a little more HP. The best shape was more of a bathtub shape than a hemisphere, but the later was easier to machine. I don't recall how the plugs were affected, since the CD was so good it would keep anything lit.

Frank V.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I thought the fact that Quincy Flatheads had both...................

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    Honda pistons??

What does this have to do with Wayne Walgrave or 6 cyl Loopers?

Good question, just wrong thread.

"flat top' pistons and offset combustion chambers, and since other manufacturers evidently saw something in that type design, it was relevant, but evidently not. If every thread on BRF was only about the specific original title, a lot of boat racing history would be lost or never posted.

As "Emily LaTilla" said, 'NEVER MIND".

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm a little biased, but I like this one very much Arlen Crouch

:d ---
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Sis"

Post Thanks / Like

Default 6 Cab-over Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Cadle View Post
    :d ---
    Karen---

Do you know the year of the pic. of Arlen and the 6 cab-over hydro.? It looks like a very early 6 [stock schrouds and 6 pipes] and Jones cab-over?

Maybe Gene can help us here.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racnbns View Post
    Karen---

Do you know the year of the pic. of Arlen and the 6 cab-over hydro.? It looks like a very early 6 [stock schrouds and 6 pipes] and Jones cab-over?

Maybe Gene can help us here.

Bruce
    Quincy came out with pipes at the beginning of the 1959 racing season (I was still in high school). I returned from the Navy in 1962.

Arlen and Freddie Goehl moved to Bryan, TX either in '63 or '64 to form Bryan Marine. I know they were not with QW at the 1964 Championships at Lake Spivey.That would mean the picture was no earlier than 1959 and not later than 1963. My GUESS is 1961.

BTW: That is NOT the Quincy dam in the background. Too many trees!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy No date on the clipping

Gene,

There was no date on the original newspaper article, but many of the ones in the scrap book of Nanny's were in race/year order and that one was in with the ones from 58 - 62.
    "Sis"

Thread Information