Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Diamond in the Rough? Bayou Bandit E-41

Post Thanks / Like

Default Diamond in the Rough? Bayou Bandit E-41

New to the forum, and new to Hydros. I've been around boats all my life and came across my "dream boat" literally recently. I grew up around houseboats and smaller ski boats, basically living ont he water every weekend. Now, 33 years old with 4 kids of my own I've gotten "back to my roots" with a cabin cruiser of my own where my family spends the majority of our weekends (on the water).

My uncle passed away recently and when visiting his home I found my dad's old race boat "out back" hanging in my uncles' barn. It's been hanging there, out of the sun and the elements for 25+ years. There's absolutely no rot, cracks, stress indications of any kind. The only problems I've found are minor finish blemishes (paint peeling etc).

I want to "do this one right" and don't know or care if it's a sought after hydro or completely worthless in the racing world. I remember watching my dad race this boat for a few seasons and wanting this boat so bad, but was only 5-6 years old at the time. I honestly didn't know it still existed. My 3 older brothers are now very envious of me because they had the same dream I did.

Long story short, my name is Dan, I'm glad to be here and here's my new baby.

The "assumption" is it's a 1964 3-point hydro that was built as a kit by a company that starts with the letter B (all my dad could remember).

The power plant he used (not sure if it was intended for this motor or not) was a small block V8 out of a car...

They made the gas tank out of a mini keg from the liquor store (classic 70s!). In my attempts to restore this to original factory condition, this may be the only part I leave "modded" because it's just cool :yes:

Let me know if you know anything about this boat that may help me along the way, or if you know where to get an engine cowling etc...

My dad will help me with the power plant since he's a master boat mechanic and knows the boat very well.

Also wanted to know if anyone knows of any Vintage classes or exhibition races in MN, possibly a website I can dive into.

Thanks!
    Great to be here!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default very nice

very nice and would be perfect for vintage shows- website- vintagehydroplanes.com-

apba

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Just starting to dig in, found both rudders, a spare prop and some other parts inside the shell up front.

Extremely pumped!

When I showed my dad my new toy, it brought a tear to his eye... Can't wait to finish it and have him "show me how to drive" it...

Thread Information