Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rich Austin, Bill Seebold WHERE?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rich Austin, Bill Seebold WHERE?

Hopefully, Rich or Bill can tell us where this is
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark75H; 12-01-2011 at 07:53 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm a Bill, just not Seebold.

I would start the guessing game by saying Fort Buhlow Lake, Pineville, La.

If so, probably an NOA World Championship. Lots of the boats shown used to run there regularly back in the 60's.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to put up this version earlier but the server would not accept it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1965 NOA Alex Nationals

Sam,

Based on the scenery, the cars in the pits and the boats/trailers, I believe it to be the 1965 NOA Nationals at Alexandria, LA.

At that Nats the champions were:
    A Hydro Jerry Waldman
    B Hydro Jerry Waldman
    C Hydro Jerry Waldman
    D Hydro Freddie Goehl
    F Hydro John McMullen
    X Hydro Billy Seebold

A Runabout Ted May
    B Runabout Billy Seebold
    C Runabout Freddie Goehl
    D Runabout John Woods
    F Runabout Dickie Pond

Regards,

Paul

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Until you put up that second photo Sam, I would have gone with Bill Van and Paul. Those heavily wooded hills don't look right. And none of those guys pitted at the north end. Bill Seebold, Jerry Waldman, Jerry Simison (G86) and Dick Austin always pitted in the center near or at the judges stand.

ADD: maybe you might know the answer Bill Van. I've never been to Creve Cour, but I remember my early NOA days that they hosted a bunch of races, and these are the very midwestern guys that would have showed up. Far left you can see the Leavendusky's pitted with Specks. Phil Howard is close by. That V88 doesn't look like anything I saw in the Brinkman stable, but maybe Bob Murphy? Could that be Creve Coure or should we keep trying. If it's Alex 1965, I want someone to point out the chain link fence next to the road, and something that looks like 165 cutting through between the pits and the hills.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't believe it is Creve Coeur Lake

Wayne:

I am pretty sure you are correct that V-88 in the photo is Bob Muphy's equipment. Later on when he called it a day, Todd Brinkman Sr. took over that number also in addition to V-99, but I would have to have someone else give positive ID, as if it is '65, that was three years before I started back racing after about a 10 year layoff. Even though I was not racing at that time (if correct) I would argue strongly for Alex as there is a real familiarity to that scene, especially taken from the lake side of the pits. I seem to remember the hillside parking where the cars are parked, and also the way the water has "sculpted" the very narrow little "beach" area right before the grass begins is also very familiar also, especially as someone who got towed in a lot the first couple of years after I started back remembers.

Too bad the shot does not look just a little more south so we could see if the concession stand and judges stand was visible. Would not be much doubt then if it was there.

I will see if I can get hold of Phil Howard and get his opinion. His health has not been great lately and I don't know how much he has looked at BRF recently.

Perhaps Gene East has an opinion also.

ADD: Creve Couer Lake has broad sandy beaches going to the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill Van for your recollections. I wasn't there in 1965, as I was just starting and only made one complete heat that year with a stock B Merc in B runabout. If it was indeed the 1965 NOA World Championships at Alex, and the background looked different later...please don't ask Joe Rome for his opinion. He still has a burr up his a$$ about that one. He had to do work at his auto supply company with his Dad Roland that weekend, and it not only the NOA World Championships at Alex he missed...it was also the most boats and most well attended.

I totally agree that in Sam's first pic I would say hands down Alex. Year, I couldn't say, but the pits and the angle up where spectators and racers would park is exact. The hills though look to high and too heavily wooded to me though. But since I wasn't there in the mid and early sixties, things could very well have looked different, I don't see the background being able to be changed that much through logging and throwing up a chain link fence though.

ADD: It's hard to comment about a photo when you have to post, shut down, then go back, but I just did and I say no way on Alex. It had to be a hell of a race with those guys in the pits, and what looked like probably a really good race site.....but not Alex.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bill that is NOT Creve Couer based on his reference to "sculpting" on the beach. Plus I don't remember Dick Austin ever running at Creve Coeur.

My thoughts were Alex, but Wayne shot that theory down.

In any event, Happy Birthday Wayne!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, that's a good shot of Paul Simison (black hat, sunglasses and crank rope) wading through the pits.

He and I talk on line frequently. I probably know him more intimately than most other contributors to this website.

Paul or Jerry either one could tell you why, but I won't.

Paul maintains he wasn't important at the races, just Jerry's little brother. But most of us older guys remember Paul for his photographic work. Some of the best action shots of the sixties reflect Paul Simison's valuable contribution to boat racing!

Wayne Baldwin acknowledges he learned a lot about photography from Paul Simison.

These gentlemen without doubt are two of the finest racing photographers ever to get their feet wet.

Paul still is involved with photography, but now he shoots wildlife rather than boats.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not even close to being the photographer that Paul is, but thanks for the kind words Gene. And you are right about Paul helping me. I loved photography and Paul set me down the right path at a race at Lakeland in Memphis, Tennessee that Marshall Grant put on. That was in 1970. Later that year, probably at the Nationals in DePue, Paul told me he was going to take several months off to go on a long safari in Africa shooting photos of animals in the wild. This is the first time I ever heard of anyone going on a safari with a camera. Paul was ahead of his time. That was the last time I had seen Paul until Ralph Donalds Old Pharts Reunion two years ago. We took up where we last left off thirty nine years earlier. We had a grand reunion talking about all kinds of stuff. It was great to see him. He does strictly digital now and has scanners, processors, cameras, lenses, etc that cost into the thousands each. The real trick he said to being successful in freelance work is the filing system. Paul acknowledges he doesn't spend the time to really do his to the max. He has a friend who has a system to recall, cross reference, and retrieve hundreds of thousands of his images for magazine, trade publication, ad people etc. who are looking for a certain type of image or style. You have to be able to get to it instantly to make the sale. Paul was as always very interesting and informative to talk to. I know we talked about his old boat racing photos, but he wasn't planning on digging through them any time soon. Maybe some day.

Thread Information