Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rich Austin, Bill Seebold WHERE?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If it came from Claude's collection, it probably is Knoxville. I notice the rebel flag which could mean the North- South race Claude had every year. However most of the drivers in the picture are yankees.

Post Thanks / Like

There are pictures from many different locations in the group that I purchased
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

That is John McMullens M 14 Hustler. He ran that boat in 1967. That was the first year for that baot and motor combination. My looper had gernaded and I missed that the last part of 67. He blew the boat over backwards a Knoxville and I believe that was is in 67. He did not run the the boat after that. He won the 1967 NOA F Hydro championship. I do not the know the date of that event. This pic would have to be after the date. The NOA National were in Mineapolis in 68. I was there and John was not. I say 1967 Knoxville.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Refer to the pics that I posted in the How Fast will A Quincy 6 go. That pic is of John just before he blew over. The lay of the land looks like your pic. Which by the way I bid on. The first 6 looper was not made until Spring of 1966 for John, which he ran on the 15' Jones. It did not run well because of the standard merc battery ignition. In 1967 he replaced the boat with another 13' and moved the looper. The 2nd race of the year we faced each other with the same setups. That was a race. I dont remember anyone else running or they just got out of the way and watched. Side by side the first lap. John on the inside. Last lap John over shoot the last corner and I got inside and beat him by a boat lenght. 2nd lap we both broke center reed cages. They may not be fast by todays standards but the noise, roostertails, and flying got everybodys attention.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a very impressive show in those days Richard. Thanks much for adding to this thread. When I got to be experienced enough to be competitive a four cylinder Konig OE was low center of gravity, and boats had evolved to the point they could get in and out of the turn quicker. I did just what you did with John. Hang on the hammer all the way down the straight, then shut it completely down, then turn inside. It was a fun manuever.

The point I want to stress though is much more poignant after reading your post. I did not know that the first Quincy 6 cylinder loopers appeared in 1966. I guess the information was out there before, but I never picked up on it. The very first one I can remember seeing was at Knoxville in 1967. It was very impressive. Must have been John running the very one you described.

Since your post, I have realized that as a newcomer, I happened to come on the scene just as one of the most spectacular racing engines ever produced was in it's prime, and lasted only a few years. Joe Rome, Gene East and I have talked about how sometimes we were busy between heats making repairs, switching motors from hydros to runabouts or vice versa, deciding on a different prop etc. But when the F or X hydros with the six cylinder loopers fired up, everyone stopped and watched. The APBA F Runabouts with the deck riders did the same to the people in the pits.

To me the six cylinder loopers are like the P51 Mustangs of World War II. They only had a short time frame where they were the ultimate fighting machine. Even a very few short years later the jets were way above the P51 capabilities, but to this day the P51's remain one of the favorite aircraft of all time. I was glad that I was there to watch them on the race course.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how many of you know this, but Rich Austin never drove any other class before competing in F-Hydro.

When I introduced Norma to Rich I explained to her what an amazing accomplishment that was. I told her Rich has cajones as big as basketballs.

Those of you who have met Norma know that she is very quite and ladylike.

Looks are deceiving! Norma worked as a surgical tech for over 40 years. She's seen and heard everything. Believe me, she's an example that still water does indeed run deep.

She turned to Rich and said "How do you fit them into that little cockpit".

Good to see you on here Rich. We'd love to hear more from you!

David_L6

I don't know where that picture was taken but I'd bet that that is not Fort Buhlow Lake at Pineville, LA.

Thread Information