Thread: Here we go again. sst 120 v sst 200

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 200 sst

i have a new kit in stock $ 14000.00 thanx lee davies

U.K. J 250 - Euro JT250 Techteam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    First there is a loop hole on the airbag / crash-box rule that circumvents it for USA event written into the agreement between APBA and UIM dating back to 1930's ish ( at least that's what I've been told ).
    Huh??

I'm not not having a dig just genuinely interested, what I trying to ascertain is if it's a UIM sanctioned World Championship then I presume a european driver with a UIM international license could ship a boat, enter and compete at Trenton. We started running the 200 this year and there are a few drivers with that motor and there will be more 2012. If we can enter what are the rules ? UIM rules state a weight limit air bags and crash boxes. I don't see how there can be a exemption written for those items back in the 30's. Once again not criticising just interested in case we can get some boats over.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techteam View Post
    Huh??

I'm not not having a dig just genuinely interested, what I trying to ascertain is if it's a UIM sanctioned World Championship then I presume a European driver with a UIM international license could ship a boat, enter and compete at Trenton. We started running the 200 this year and there are a few drivers with that motor and there will be more 2012. If we can enter what are the rules ? UIM rules state a weight limit air bags and crash boxes. I don't see how there can be a exemption written for those items back in the 30's. Once again not criticizing just interested in case we can get some boats over.
    No offense taken. We would love to have as many from Europe or any where else as we can. Contact Fred Miller at 847-356-2924

As far as the rules, the way the agreement was written it does not address any rules specifically at all. Supposedly allows for World Championships held in the US to be raced under current APBA rules regardless of class. At least that's what I'm told

Current Weight for SST200 is 1150 lbs or 522 kg
    SST 120 1100lbs or 499 kg

D. SST 200 TECHNICAL STANDARDS
    Max. Total Cu. In. Displacement Min. Boat Length Min. Boat Weight
    154.0 (2.5L) 16 1,150 Lbs.
    122.0 (2.0L) 16' 1,100 Lbs.
    SST 200 Boat Standards (see also Rule 21)
    1) Any design of boat including bottom, deck, cockpit openings and seating arrangements is permissible so far as boat meets minimum length.
    2) Power trim and/or adjustable spoilers shall be allowed in Super Stock.
    SST 200 Motor Standards (see also Rule 23, 25 and 26)
    1) All cowling and engine graphics and colors shall be the same as OEM.
    2) The SST 200 class can change engine wiring to a 24-volt starting system.
    3) The SST 200 class gear cases may have their outside surfaces refinished; however, they must meet the requirements of OPC Engine
    Specification sheets and the original design.
    4) The SST 120 engine, unaltered, is a legal engine in SST 200 class, and must meet the SST 120 class weight.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For complete OPC rules http://www.apba-racing.com/Forms/2012/012OPC.pdf
    Motor tech is another book

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default here we go again.sst 120 v sst 200

rubin we have not met. but I am looking forward to it. i did not mean to get any ones pantys in a bunch. blame it on my lack of education. first let me say i was not a 120 driver when they voted on the rule. 2nd let me say i am a back marker always have been always will be. so an opti running against me does not matter. what my concern is boat count. i know if i voted for a rule that i felt strongly about and a race changed the class to have the same old thing that i voted to not happen. then i simple would not go to that race. this is what i fear could happen. in my perfect world sst 120 would stand alone. opti would be in formula 150. those guys need help with boat count& races. races would have sst 120 & formula 150. and we grow the sport. this may be a pipe dream but is the only solution i can came up with to get racers back on the water.what in know about uim is they may run with us under there uim membership but must run under apba rules & tech. trenton did have a choice. shep thanks for your post.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, any news on dates etc.

Thanks

James

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techteam View Post
    Thanks for the info, any news on dates etc.

Thanks

James
    Friday July 20 thru Sunday the 22 in Trenton Michigan, Near Detroit. The Airport code is DTW

Post Thanks / Like

You should make sure you have the right helmet color though! ;D
    "Racin Is Livin, Everything Else Is Waitin"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jose jr21. View Post
    You should make sure you have the right helmet color though! ;D
    Why what have you heard the dayglo pink was just a phase I was going through !

Post Thanks / Like

There is a new helmet rule that is going into effect for 2012 for our drivers:

New GSR 3.a. 1: The upper fifty percent (50%) of the helmet must be a single color of the following: yellow or orange or international orange or fluorescent red. Rationale: Helmet colors selected by some drivers in restrained cockpits are difficult to see once the driver is in the water.

I'm sure the Trenton organizers would absolutely love to have some international boats attend the race.

Mark

Thread Information