Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 557 HP outboard from Seven Marine any good?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 557 HP outboard from Seven Marine any good?

Hey,
    Has anyone checked out this 557 HP outboard out of Merc's back yard made by Seven Marine?

www.seven-marine.com

http://www.seven-marine.com

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You know I'd prefer this engine in a 15 inch shaft but 20 inch I can make work, what i can't make work is the 1,000 pounds this things weighs not sure my little 15ft alweld could handle that kinda weight. I forgot to say it doesn't look like they make this motor in a tiller either, what a bummer

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Remains to be seen. For all the boat show showings, and press hype out there, I understand they have not yet spent all that much time on the water. I heard that Intrepid was building a boat to run a couple, and that will tell pretty quick what they do and how they survive in the real world.

Interesting project.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating design, but why on earth is it better than a normal inboard/ outboard (stern drive)? To me, the space below decks it saves is not worth its astronomical cost!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    Fascinating design, but why on earth is it better than a normal inboard/ outboard (stern drive)? To me, the space below decks it saves is not worth its astronomical cost!

Jeff
    Good point, not only that I doubt a 7 litre worked to more hp would weigh much more & be better below deck for handling in a performance outlook. Still cool tho.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a project of Rick Davis; VP Engineering Mercury; and his son. I understand it was the sons idea and Rick supported him with his merc connections.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 557

Is it legal super E engine?

Alan

Sure is out of the box thinking! Could verywell start the move away from the stern drive system.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Everything old is new again

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Sure is out of the box thinking! Could verywell start the move away from the stern drive system.
    Its an old idea reborn. The 1956 100+mph speed record was set with a motor of this configuration ... a couple of Corvair motors were mounted on Merc towers in the 1960's ... Cross Radial outboards of the 1930's were a similar conversion of an aircraft engine.

If the idea succeeds this time, it will be an unusual example of something that was tried multiple times and actually caught on.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old is new

I rember a drag hydro from the mid 60s The boat was called 1/2 breed The guys name was Bruce Redman He stacked a Corviar on top of a Parker downhousing w/ssmaster lower He use to run 95-100 mph class he did set a record in about 1966 or 67 at over 100 mph think he registered as a fuel boat the gas record was faster I was about 15 years old and thought this was the most amazing thing I had ever seen It sounded great on the warm up Most the time it was pretty disapointing I once asked Bruce about the performance he told me he thought it was allergic to water

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default my old mind

My mind is not as sharp as it use to be and I realize I rember better after a lets just say a visit to a different room Bruce use to bring the boat to Ski Land behind a tow truck a pretty old beat up tow truck most of the tools he used were borrowed or found in the bed of the tow truck I was working w/Bob Piper at the time and we always seemed to be parked next to him He knew we had a complete tool set He was quite a charater If my memory serves me right it was a older Jones Cab over He rarely brought help and we ran 90-95 or if all went well 95-100 so one of our crew could help him launch

Thread Information