Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jim Griffin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim Griffin

I would like to honor Jim Griffin as a race driver who is no longer with us.

Rather than simply adding his name to a list that already exists, I want Jim to have the recognition he has been denied for so many years by starting a thread in his name.

Jim worked for a time at Quincy Welding as a mechanic and driver. He was a brother-in -law to the late Ronnie Williams and I believe Freddie Goehl as well.

Today, a lady walked up to me in a restaurant, said she was Jim's widow and she thought she had a "picture" I would like to have.

She gave me her address and I went to her house to pick up the "picture". Turned out it wasn't a picture at all.

It was JUST the 1956 F-Hydro World Championship Plaque!

The lady was Jim's second wife. She had no knowledge of Jim's racing career. The plaque meant nothing to her, but I was happy to take it off her hands.

I searched BRF and the Quincy website and found nothing about Jim.

Is there anyone else out there who remembers Jim Griffin?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How a lady just walked up to you with that informations piques my interest Gene. Because there is a plaque, it most likely means he did a lot of racing. What I would suggest Gene, is that you post a picture of the plaque, what you know and start the thread in the Encylopedia where we would all know to look him up. I Guess Ron or Sam or Jeff could move this thread to there.

I'm wondering Gene, if you might be talking about John Griffin. I remember him as one of the top NOA drivers when I first started and he drove a mean D hydro and Runabout. I never did meet him, but he was one of the top drivers. John Griffin was one of Marshall Grant's drivers through the years. Find out where he was from, and when he worked at Quincy. Joe Rome might know something about this.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

No mix up here.

Jim Griffin and John Griffin are NOT the same person. I remember both of these guys

The lady is from LaGrange. I knew her when I was younger. In fact my sister used to babysit for her, and her parents lived half a block from my parents.

Her first husband was killed when 2 gasoline barges exploded at a river terminal in LaGrange. ( I did some of the pipe welding on the line from the terminal to the tank farm).

The burning barges drifted downstream and crashed into the railroad bridge at Quincy, shutting off RR traffic for several days.

With the exception of the flood a few years ago, this was the only time LaGrange ever received national news coverage.

I was 17 years old when I met Jim. I was maddly in love with his sister-in-law who attended my high school. (She didn't feel the same way about me)!

My skills at posting pictures are very weak; but I assure you, I know or knew all the people involved.

What I have in my possession is a genuine NOA World Championship Plaque with Jim Griffin's name on it.

If you still are able to contact Freddie Goehl, he may be able to verify Jim's driving record.

The only other people who may be able to do so would be David Christner or John Christner. I doubt Paul would remember Jim, but I'll ask him.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have his racing number? Joe might be able to find some photos in the Claude Fox collection. I'll look in some old Roostertails.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably V-100 or X-100.

Remember, my memory is being tested hard here!

Any info that anyone can provide would be appreciated!

Thread Information