Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flyin Flivvers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flyin Flivvers

Does anyone have any information on Flying Fliver Boats? They were and 8ft long 4ft wide unsinkable boat built originally in MN, then copied/modied and build in FL.
    www.creekrat.com/fliverboat.htm is a fan website with tons of pics.
    I am interested in hearing about the FF racing class that was run in 1957/8 running these with stock motors - Per Peter Hunn's book.
    And also looking for better pics of the logo on the side of the boat in the following photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Post Thanks / Like

its strange that I have never heard about this class running, other than peters book and no pics have surfaced.

oh well, I will have fun making mine fly anyways!
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Post Thanks / Like

There is a guy in Quincy with a Flying Flivver powerred by a Mk-25. He seems to have more fun than a man should be allowed.

I've never run one, but it looks like a blast!

David Christner told me about an event Mercury held at a dealer convention years ago.

They set up a two man relay event running Flying Flivvers. David teamed up with Jack Kugler and they kicked butt.

Imagine that, those two guys have won their share of boat races.

Included in their impressive records is "Flying Flivver" Champions of Mercury Dealers

Post Thanks / Like

Thats awesome! Flivers are a whoot for sure. It would be a great entry level rebirth event and great race for spectators to watch, just a little out of the norm or conventionalism.
    There is a rumor that Hydrostream canada is gonna build some flivvers.
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    There is a guy in Quincy with a Flying Flivver powerred by a Mk-25. He seems to have more fun than a man should be allowed.

I've never run one, but it looks like a blast!

David Christner told me about an event Mercury held at a dealer convention years ago.

They set up a two man relay event running Flying Flivvers. David teamed up with Jack Kugler and they kicked butt.

Imagine that, those two guys have won their share of boat races.

Included in their impressive records is "Flying Flivver" Champions of Mercury Dealers
    Oh Gene, did you happen to be at Todd and Rob's event this weekend? I was over there on Saturday and had a great time. I am jealous of Quincy and their appreciation for boating lifestyles and their historic riverfront.
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Post Thanks / Like

I know Todd and Rod well, but my sister passed away last week so my schedule was pretty tight.

Are they still planning an event in Sept??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    I know Todd and Rod well, but my sister passed away last week so my schedule was pretty tight.

Are they still planning an event in Sept??
    Gene, Sorry for your loss. Yes, as far as I know they are on schedule for their september show. I am not sure of the exact dates, but I will try to find out. It is a great show and swap.
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know Bruce Borkenhagen (OPC-EP driver from the 70's/80's) had a set of molds for the Fliver. Used it to run around Fort Lauderdale jumping yacht wakes like a loon, having more fun that a man should be allowed.

I am guessing his molds are somewhere in his warehouse. Bruce NEVER gets rid of anything!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a blue Flivver boat from from the late 70's to the early eightys. It had a 35hp Johnson, and hauled butt pretty good. Some of my fondest memories was playing with that silly thing after school almost every day. We used to skimboard behind it.

I know John Stevens in Orlando also had one, except he somehow rigged a tiller to a Yamato 80 and ran it on his flivver. He's still got some pics of it on his facebook page. He said he and a bunch of other guys who lived on the same lake as he did used to have Fliver boat races on it.

Yep, I'd love to get my old fliver boat back. Sold it to buy an A Stock Hydro...

Creekrat
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy! I'd be interested is seeing sum photos of John Stevens' Fliver with the Yamato 80. We have a Yamato 302 we were thinking of rigging a tiller and putting on our Noles Fliver for kicks.

Thread Information