Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mercury 2005 40 hp 2 stroke 3 cyclinder

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question mercury 2005 40 hp 2 stroke 3 cyclinder

Hello, I am new to this forum.I have watched several videos of the Sabine River Gang and they got my attention. Does anyone here know what can be done to a mercury 2005 40 hp 2 stroke 3 cyclinder engine to get more power/ speed. The motor is on a home made 14'alum. hull with a 10" pad and a set back plate 8". The boat does 38 mph with myself (205 lbs) 12 gallons fuel ,20 lbs ice and fishing gear.
    Thanks for any help.
    Best Regards
    Nason

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nason View Post
    Hello, I am new to this forum.I have watched several videos of the Sabine River Gang and they got my attention. Does anyone here know what can be done to a mercury 2005 40 hp 2 stroke 3 cyclinder engine to get more power/ speed. The motor is on a home made 14'alum. hull with a 10" pad and a set back plate 8". The boat does 38 mph with myself (205 lbs) 12 gallons fuel ,20 lbs ice and fishing gear.
    Thanks for any help.
    Best Regards
    Nason
    What kind of boat u got? Is it flat bottom, semi v, whats the weight of it? That plays a big role on how it runs. Motor setup is another factor, what kind of prop and pitch, little things add up.
    Let it all Hang out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MWhite View Post
    What kind of boat u got? Is it flat bottom, semi v, whats the weight of it? That plays a big role on how it runs. Motor setup is another factor, what kind of prop and pitch, little things add up.
    The boat is 1/8" alum with a semi V and the pad is actually 14" not 10" like I posted before. The boat is kinda built like a bass boat, The motor is level with the pad and the prop is factory ss. I have 2 motor a 2004 no power trim and is on the boat now. 2005 has power trim but need to get the carbs clean and rebuilt before i try it out. I would say the boat may weigh 300 to 400 lbs. I will have more update info tomorrow, I will do some research.
    Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

I would send it off in get the block ported if u gonna rebuild it! I am amazed how much hp I gained .
    Drill dat make it breath! U gonna need to look for 60 hp carbs. ! Though.!!! It's all n how fast u wanna skeet! Do u have a mph number u shooting for?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

shooting for 70-75mph

Post Thanks / Like

Defintly needs porting!! But tabs n set up, hull weight! Is the drag killer. Some one on here could sell or tell u what kind of hull will do that, day claim 15' foot boat is the geometric boat to run.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

who can do a nice porting job on these motor?which guy to send....

Post Thanks / Like

I sent minze to hydro tech .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

60mercury, did u sent off the complete powerhead or just the empty short block...how much money they after for the drill job....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lcp View Post
    60mercury, did u sent off the complete powerhead or just the empty short block...how much money they after for the drill job....
    It was a grand too do the magic to the block only. I let them assemble it with new pistons! This moter woke the puck up!
    I'm lookin for a good 300 merc block so I can let them make dat one breath like day made this nobama 3 banger breath me.!

Thread Information