Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here is a new "antique" racing hydro

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Here is a new "antique" racing hydro

Here are some photos of a new hydro that Jay Walls runs PR on. I finished it this past spring and these photos are from the delivery of it before paint.

Steve Roskowski
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Post Thanks / Like

Default At DePue?

Do you know if this boat was at the nationals as either S-99 or H-99? Looks very familiar. Beautiful wood work. Not sure how it ran. Is that Kevlar or some other reinforcement on the sides of the cockpit?

DW

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default H-99 PR hydro

David,

That is the same boat. Jay has added the white accents before clearing it. He wound up third at Depue and needs to do some serious prop work in order to do better. I'm sure it will come along with time. He was driving and old round nose of some sort before this so it is quite a change for him. At least now I don't have to work on the fabric deck for him! The right cockpit side has a lamination of Kevlar on the inside for extra bending strength. I got into this whole discussion on Hydroracer and quickly gave up as everyone got into talks of definitions rather than what works. In my opinion this is the toughest side you can build and will keep doing my boats this way until proven otherwise. Thanks for the compliment on the work. I do my best to have every boat that leaves the shop, whether new or repair, reflect the same qualilty. It comes from years of antique boat restoration and a great pride that I take in my work.

Steve Roskowski

Composite Specialties

Default Kevlar

Steve, that is exactly how I use to build my cockpit sides. You and I were correct during that past discussion that hemp decided to spread his ignorant knowledge on. Good job on that boat and the composite work. The more you learn and the less you listen to hemp, the better off your end result will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Default H-99

Steve, Keep up the great work for outboard racing, Duke

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a boat like that cost, and how would it run with an old merc KE-7 on it?

I just want to have some fun, no competetion around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default WAY too big.......

Quote Originally Posted by riVeRraT
    What's a boat like that cost, and how would it run with an old merc KE-7 on it?

I just want to have some fun, no competetion around here.
    the hydro Steve built would be WAY too big for your KE7. If you are interested in the newer style hydros, then you would be after an ASH (A stock hydro), which is ran with 15hp motors. If you want some more "nostaglic", then email me, as I have a PERFECT NEW old classic style Champion runabout for sale. You might also be better off with a runabout, as they are easier to drive and can turn right!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

David.. Thats exactely what I was thinking too...real shame to junk it up with numbers etc.. What a beautiful job of finishing it out. Wonder what it weighs out with hardware??

Be a real shame to put some "scars" on the deck of this...!

Steve....nice job!!

Pitboss 77

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Canutellme?

If anyone can tell me why raceboats are like this are made from anything but wood like this, i'm sure listening.
    That is beutiful.
    If the answer is weight change it, wate i mean.
    RichardKCMo

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy
    the hydro Steve built would be WAY too big for your KE7. If you are interested in the newer style hydros, then you would be after an ASH (A stock hydro), which is ran with 15hp motors. If you want some more "nostaglic", then email me, as I have a PERFECT NEW old classic style Champion runabout for sale. You might also be better off with a runabout, as they are easier to drive and can turn right!
    Well you live in california, I think it might to expensive to ship, but I would love to see pictures of it anyway.

Anyone want to bring it back for me? lol

I am going to test the merc on a small rowboat tomorrow, should be a real blast.
    I don't care if I can only turn right, I want to experience a hydro, I've wanted it all my life. I can always get a runabout later. I own about 3 boats right now, but nothing is racing. The main boat I use is a 19' glassmaster with 175 merc on it that I rebuilt, it goes about 45mph. I want to start going fast, but I realize the importance of starting off slow, and learning from a grassroots style like thesse small hydros.
    I've been into all kinds of racing in my life, but nothing with boats yet, I have been driving boats since I was 4, I am now 40.
    I raced R/C electric hydros, so I have some knowledge of what it's all about.
    I water skied for many years, so I am acustomed to being slamed into the water at about 50 mph while slaloming.

Am I painting a clear picture?

Oh, and I got a 55hp short shaft evinrude that is dying to go on something, that will be my next step. I don't think I will get into racing, because there is nothing too local, plus my Sundays are filled with activities already. I just want to blast off! But who knows, I might find my way into a race one day, just to meet with people. You guys seem like a nice crowd.

Thread Information