Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here is a new "antique" racing hydro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Modhydro Steve
    Here are some answers:

Like David said, this boat is too large for what you want to do. I'd recommend the same as David with the A stock boat or even go for a slightly larger boat for lake playing but nothing over 10 feet or so. There are plenty of boats just beyond their prime for racing, but great for messing around. They are far more economical as well.

My boats range from $3500 to $4000 or so depending on size, and complexity. I will put my building and quality up against any that I have seen and am quite certain that you won't find a better "raw finish" leaving any other shop.

The small extensions of the airtrap are to help with longitudinal stability basically being built in trailing fins. They also make guys scratch their heads....

The boats I build are essentially one off's so tooling and molds just wouldn't make sense for me to do layed up hulls. While looking like a regular wood boat, I use various fibers and materials to build so they are truly composite boats. That word gets thrown around all different ways, but in its true sense, what I do is composite. I use ocumee plywood, balsa cored panels, epoxy, Kevlar, and carbon fiber. Some is vacuum bagged, some is plain hand layup. Jay's boat came in right about 115# with the hardware from what I remember. That is pretty light for a boat nearly 12' long, and I'll guarantee that there in no lack of structure in it. I've done plenty of repairs on light boats built by others and it is no wonder they are light! Here are some photos showing interior details. You can see quite a bit of structure. The key to building light and strong is to pay attention to wood species, size and placement. You should think about the purpose of each and every piece and put them in accordingly.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
    Steve, I do fine woodwork in houses for a paycheck and build boats, to spend some of it. I want to say Im very impressed and wonder if this is your livelyhood too ? Mike S

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve would not be very happy with me if hundreds showed up at his doorstep, but I have to tell you, that one of the best week ends of our life was spent at Steve's house. You wouldn't believe all the treasures in his garage, upper floor and lower floor! And so many projects. All of Steve's work is supurb. And taking a visit to the wind tunnel in Indy where he works is fun too.
    He is a great guy to have in boat racing.
    Terry and Connie Payn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riVeRraT
    Well you live in california, I think it might to expensive to ship, but I would love to see pictures of it anyway.

Anyone want to bring it back for me? lol

I am going to test the merc on a small rowboat tomorrow, should be a real blast.
    I don't care if I can only turn right, I want to experience a hydro, I've wanted it all my life. I can always get a runabout later. I own about 3 boats right now, but nothing is racing. The main boat I use is a 19' glassmaster with 175 merc on it that I rebuilt, it goes about 45mph. I want to start going fast, but I realize the importance of starting off slow, and learning from a grassroots style like thesse small hydros.
    I've been into all kinds of racing in my life, but nothing with boats yet, I have been driving boats since I was 4, I am now 40.
    I raced R/C electric hydros, so I have some knowledge of what it's all about.
    I water skied for many years, so I am acustomed to being slamed into the water at about 50 mph while slaloming.

Am I painting a clear picture?

Oh, and I got a 55hp short shaft evinrude that is dying to go on something, that will be my next step. I don't think I will get into racing, because there is nothing too local, plus my Sundays are filled with activities already. I just want to blast off! But who knows, I might find my way into a race one day, just to meet with people. You guys seem like a nice crowd.
    You would need at least a D class boat if not more for that 55, with its standard lower unit your top speed would be limited to probably under 60 but your acceleration would be real good.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default i like it

very nice boat , i like it

Thread Information