Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumor Has It: Miami Marine Stadium Is Making A Come Back

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rumor Has It: Miami Marine Stadium Is Making A Come Back

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miami-...20070811359494

I heard today there is a serious movement to return the Miami Marine Stadium to its past glory days.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No one would like to see it come back more than me. It was the site of the first race I attended, and one of the first places I raced. Growing up in Ft. Lauderdale it was our favorite testing site only an hour away.

BUT, what they didn't really touch on was that the Stadium had serious corrosion issues long before the hurricane. Both on its steel structure, and more importantly, to the steel reinforcement inside the concrete structure. Even when it was still open they severely limited the crowd size due to structural concerns.

There is now a dry stack marina in what was the pit area, and the rest is just sitting there. Alan Vordermeier, a 7-Liter hydro owner, and SE Florida real estate mover and shaker tried to start a movement to bring it back about fifteen years ago, planning a racing, event, resort and condo venue. It never went anywhere for assorted reasons. Some being the city, and the restrictions to the land gift, and of course money.

I wish them luck, but hold out little hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Things have changed dramatically ... there is quite a bit of hope
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Miami Marine Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miami-...20070811359494

I heard today there is a serious movement to return the Miami Marine Stadium to its past glory days.
    A representative of the group working on this project was at the APBA meeting last week. Looks promising especially to us that raced there during the factory wars in the 225's & Marathon National Championships.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes,

Things are moving forward with the Stadium. This project has gained serious momentum. Hopefully by mid February we will have some real great news to report to everyone.

Jose
    "Racin Is Livin, Everything Else Is Waitin"

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Default From A Miami Blog

>The stadium was designed for hydroplane racing and it quickly became one of the most important venues on the circuit with the late great local Budweiser distributor Bernie Little winning race after race with his Miss Budweiser. By the time the stadium closed in 1992, hydroplanes were reaching 170mph. Now they have passed 220mph. Whether or not they can reach those speeds in this stadium course will never be known. As an aside, only one word can describe unlimited hydroplane racing at the stadium as the huge boats roared by: thrilling. If you never had a chance to see those unlimited races, to hear the roar of those jet turbines, to smell the salt air, and to feel the ocean breeze wafting up across Virginia Key on a sunny day, then you truly missed something. There was nothing like it in the world and there still isn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

I want to play there... those pics are awesome especially the lower one... I didnt realize thats what that place looked liked. I have only seen side view pics, never a aerial pic like that... Hopes to race there again are great...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The way the racing fleet has declined over the decades,....why bother rebuilding? I well remember back in the 1960's and early 1970's 50~60 boats for the local monthly races at the stadium. Those days are long gone now,...sadly so. There are so few race boats left around Florida now days. And I don't believe in the "Build it and they will come!" philosophy. Heck, on the Yahoo Inboard site they are constantly begging to get boats to show up to the races up and and down the east coast for long established races.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it will have a chance.

I hope the turnout at the proposed Hinton WV race this spring/summer may be an example of what will happen at the right venue.

In addition to racing at "The Stadium" I hope to some day race on Lake Lloyd at Daytona.

I think both sites would be great for combined Winter Nationals events.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information