Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumor Has It: Miami Marine Stadium Is Making A Come Back

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When the day comes...

When the day comes that we get to race in the Miami Stadium again (yes I'm old enough that I raced there) we will have a lot of people to thank, I don't know who they all are, but I do know that Jose Mendana will be the first one I congratulate !

Lynn

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hampton is a fine place to race. I well remember well over 100+ boats showing up for the race "way back in the day". Last year 2 classes didn't run because of lack of entries. I believe they had around 40 boats total last year, and some of that was vintage. I sure hope it's better this year! I'm putting in vacation time for it. I'll fly in rather than make the 16~18 hour drive like I use to from here in Miami. I just don't know if there is still enough boats around to support Marine Stadium racing.

By the way, the Marine Stadium marina, formerly the Marine Stadium pits, still has around 3 and half years on their lease.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by John Howe View Post
    By the way, the Marine Stadium marina, formerly the Marine Stadium pits, still has around 3 and half years on their lease.
    Sounds just right
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I was an immediate cynic. Guess it comes from having been a local, and watching it go down hill year after year.

I am fully behind anyone who is down there working on a solution.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ill be there.raced there back in the early 80s in sport e. blew a motor so tommy and dean drozd let me drive their rig.finslly got to really see how fast that damn thing would run.no wonder they where almost unbeatable..the stadium is a historical land mark and it would be an honor for all us to be able to race there again

Post Thanks / Like

My brother Allen in FJ class at the 1975 OPC Nationals in Miami. It was my first time there. Very Cool!
    And two other photos from OPC races held in the stadium.
    Mark N

Formula 1, SST45 Lee Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boat72 View Post
    When the day comes that we get to race in the Miami Stadium again (yes I'm old enough that I raced there) we will have a lot of people to thank, I don't know who they all are, but I do know that Jose Mendana will be the first one I congratulate !

Lynn
    Lynn,

You are exactly correct. Jose Jr is investing his time, money, and knowledge of boat racing and has the positive enthusiasm needed to help push this movement through the mulititude of "can't do its" that seem to pop their heads up every time the MMS subject comes up.

Yes, there will be challenges. Mainly, fundraising and dealing with a government agency as I see it. But, with people like Jose Jr and the others that are involved with Friends of MMS, it has as good a shot to come back to life as it ever will have.

I know that if we ever do get to go race back there, I will do whatever it takes to be there. My dad raced there back in the 70's and it is one of the top 5 racing bucket-list items for me.

Steve Lee
    F1 and Formula Lights #26

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bob Thompson's "Just Add Water"

[QUOTE=MN1;116088]My brother Allen in FJ class at the 1975 OPC Nationals in Miami. It was my first time there. Very Cool!
    And two other photos from OPC races held in the stadium.
    Mark N

Bobby Thompson is a pretty "BIG HITTER" in Florida. He owns several golf courses. Jose Mendena needs to contact Bobby. Bobby might help on this project.

#173, Doug Pearl...His SJ was a "HUMMER". That black and blue SJ has a Ron Hill prop.

Formula 1, SST45 Lee Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    In addition to racing at "The Stadium" I hope to some day race on Lake Lloyd at Daytona.

I think both sites would be great for combined Winter Nationals events.
    Sam/Ron,

Really don't want to hijack this thread, but would Strang have any ability to help put together something at LL? I've often thought SO up to Formula Lights could work well there. Not sure about F1, but could be Bay City-ish (long and narrow).

It will get rough with the reverberation, but would be a fantastic venue for racers, fans, and the sport. Put it on during the lead up to or through Speedweeks. Like this weekend or right after the 500 in a few weeks.

Might be a great time to restart the Grapefruit Circuit. Just a thought...

Steve Lee
    F1 and Formula Lights #26

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tahawk..

Quote Originally Posted by tahawk View Post
    ill be there.raced there back in the early 80s in sport e. blew a motor so tommy and dean drozd let me drive their rig.finally got to really see how fast that damn thing would run.no wonder they where almost unbeatable..the stadium is a historical land mark and it would be an honor for all us to be able to race there again
    Which Drozd was killed at Havasu?

MAYBE OFF THE SUBJECT, BUT I THINK THE FIRST RACE BACK AT MIAMI SHOULD BE A 24 HOURS, BASED ON OFFROAD TYPE RACING.

Thread Information