Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Out of All The Boat Racers You've Known???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who Out of All The Boat Racers You've Known???

Who out of all the boat racers you've known that have passed on , not counting family members, would you choose to sit around a campfire with?

I'd like to sit around a campfire with Dean Chenowith and Bill Muncey....Well, Ted May also! Well, probably Harry Bartolomei, too!

Post Thanks / Like

I miss Gerry (Jerry) Waldman and Jerry Simison. I remember both of them as being so full of life.

Clem Landis would keep everyone laughing all night.

Marshall Grant's warmth and gentleness would be very relaxing.

Our most recent loss "Butch" Leavendusky would certainly be welcome.

Of course I'd want O.F. Christner to be there and that's as close to a family member as I can get!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to sit with Dub Parker again, But most of all I would love just two more day's with Dieter Konig Talking just the way we used to when no one else was around, And just to hear one more time Walt Blankenstein bitch about nothing. Again to hear Ted Thompson give me pointers on set ups and drive hints, And also Hans Krage, just to have him visit and stay at my home one more time and hear his stories or say " Steve! Are you Crazy???" but these are all family to me

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

there are so many racers that have influenced and mentored me in this sport but I would have to say Howard Anderson would be top on my list.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Anderson would be very high on most lists. Thank you for adding him!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Teach........this assignment is too tough. There's too many I would want to set around a campfire with. So I'm going to put my own twist on it.

Homer Alford, Bill Bonner, Bucky McKowski, Henry Wagner, Charlotte Queen, Jack Waite, Papa Smith and Russ Hill, Sr. Everyone of these was a referee or inspector and friends of mine with the exception of Russ Hill, Sr. whom I never met. I have never sat around a campfire with any of these guys except for Jack Waite, and he was so interesting I would want to do it again. I picked them just because of the fact I never had to opportunity to sit around a campfire with them before (except for Jack) and I would like to hear their side of boat racing stories. This idea popped into my head because of all of Ron's and Russ Jr.'s stories about their Dad, and I would love to hear them firsthand.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Henry Wagner and Russ Hill, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Hey Teach........this assignment is too tough. There's too many I would want to set around a campfire with. So I'm going to put my own twist on it.

Homer Alford, Bill Bonner, Bucky McKowski, Henry Wagner, Charlotte Queen, Jack Waite, Papa Smith and Russ Hill, Sr. Everyone of these was a referee or inspector and friends of mine with the exception of Russ Hill, Sr. whom I never met. I have never sat around a campfire with any of these guys except for Jack Waite, and he was so interesting I would want to do it again. I picked them just because of the fact I never had to opportunity to sit around a campfire with them before (except for Jack) and I would like to hear their side of boat racing stories. This idea popped into my head because of all of Ron's and Russ Jr.'s stories about their Dad, and I would love to hear them firsthand.
    That picture I posted of Salton Sea, 1948, with dad's boat in the picture, somewhere Henry Wagner's boat is there, too!

Henry and my dad were always good friends. Probably the last 5-6 Havasu Classics that Henry Inspected at, we had Thanksgiving dinner with Henry and Vera. Hendry would make the reservations and set the time.....AND we best not be late.

I think I MAY HAVE MET BUCKY MCKOWSKI AT THE WINNEBAGOLAND MARATHON 1953. Seems the last time I saw him was 1969. Seldom did we talk, just kind of "Grunted' at me in inspection. He'd have some interesting stories for sure...Like the time my dad and John Landon stole the cake at the 1960 Beloit Nationals.. Bucky tried to stop them, and John said, "Hell, Russ, they don't know us." My dad said, "You're right, John." And they left with the cake, only to return it a trophy presentations Sunday night. (For about three days the Region 7 guys were trying to find Russ and John...).

Wayne, my dad inspected you at the Winternationals. The OLD MAN was never "FLAMBOUYAND". He was just a farm boy from Nebraska. He did most of his talking with me on the race course.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Ron! I think you might have mentioned your Dad inspecting our rigs at the Winternationals, but I forgot about it. I knew you.....but I didn't know him. But now I know that I was in contact with ALL the referees and inspectors I would like to sit around the campfire with and hash out the things they remembered, including all the races I never attended, but that they had and saw what happened.

The story about Bucky (his last name might have been McKofski...I have to look)..... your Dad and Bucky would tell that kind of campfire tale I would expect. Good thread.....but hard to do the picking.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron great list to start. Harry was the first and last person I rode deck for five years apart. Miss him. I would have to add Lon Stevens to the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Pop Augustine. Always a good story, passion for boat racing and ready to try something different with engines and boats.

Jane Smith - Intense competitor and a wonderful person to spend time with. Ralph Smith as well. Loved boat racing and invested tons of time working on set-up.

Lowell Schumacher - I loved listening to Lowell's stories and descriptions of races past.

Thread Information