Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OMC Mod VP Motors

Post Thanks / Like

The EF crank was all about acceleration, turned a 2.6 into what it should be, as well, sounded really nice, idled like a dream, like I said before, it sounds just like a Merc then. I had a 150XP on my stream, used it for skiing, what a ski motor. Problem was the price, SE was selling them for like 3K.

I pulled the Mod3 out of moth balls a couple weeks ago, going to clean the carbs and put it on something.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun. Is this Mod3 the one with the CCC front?

Post Thanks / Like

No that one is gone this is the Mod 3 with 3 carbs, this one was actually quicker, the 6 carb motor had the cool factor but way over carbbed.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the last of the production crossflows had even fire cranks?
    or is my memory fading?

Post Thanks / Like

Your memory is fading, the only grossflow that "came" with a EF crank was a Mod 3 ordered from SE

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Smokin' Joe;118975]V-bottom racing was headed for the grave by 1985. Mod-VP killed it, big prize money there, seldom any for the smaller classes. Then Mod-VP was died, I don't know the reason for that.

In my humble opinion the causes of MOD VP demise were:
    1-IOGP was paying big prize money, so all of a sudden many racers felt they should be paid that also. Kinda like paying Daytona purses to the Saturday night short-track racer just because they both race stock cars.

2-The capsule rule injected a large cost to refitting an existing boat or the cost of getting a new capsule boat.

Because of #1, some racers refused to support smaller races. That is where we all started, and where public awareness was born. Most of these races were in public areas that could not charge admission so the prize money was based on local sponsorship and entry fees, therefore purses were limited. Doesn't anyone remember towing all night to a race and winning a paper certificate and MAYBE enough money to cover dinner for the crew?

I raced OPC local classes, and SE in the 70s, and MOD-VP in the 80s (US2, 1984), so I got to see the "glory days". We ran for fun, trailered with a beat-up station wagon (no haulers) and stayed at local racers' houses or in cheap motels. And had a BLAST!

Post Thanks / Like

The tow from Houston to Havasu, a seedy motel in Ozona, the mountains around Tucson, and Saguaro
    cacti along I-10. Then a better motel in Havasu City. Race prep, jacking around with the competitors,
    eating at some Havasu restaurant or diner. The good ol' days. Nothing like 4 hrs. of driving in a race.

[QUOTE=Smokey;127295]
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    V-bottom racing was headed for the grave by 1985. Mod-VP killed it, big prize money there, seldom any for the smaller classes. Then Mod-VP was died, I don't know the reason for that.

In my humble opinion the causes of MOD VP demise were:
    1-IOGP was paying big prize money, so all of a sudden many racers felt they should be paid that also. Kinda like paying Daytona purses to the Saturday night short-track racer just because they both race stock cars.

2-The capsule rule injected a large cost to refitting an existing boat or the cost of getting a new capsule boat.

Because of #1, some racers refused to support smaller races. That is where we all started, and where public awareness was born. Most of these races were in public areas that could not charge admission so the prize money was based on local sponsorship and entry fees, therefore purses were limited. Doesn't anyone remember towing all night to a race and winning a paper certificate and MAYBE enough money to cover dinner for the crew?

I raced OPC local classes, and SE in the 70s, and MOD-VP in the 80s (US2, 1984), so I got to see the "glory days". We ran for fun, trailered with a beat-up station wagon (no haulers) and stayed at local racers' houses or in cheap motels. And had a BLAST!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thing Come and Things Go!

[QUOTE=Smokin' Joe;127296]The tow from Houston to Havasu, a seedy motel in Ozona, the mountains around Tucson, and Saguaro
    cacti along I-10. Then a better motel in Havasu City. Race prep, jacking around with the competitors,
    eating at some Havasu restaurant or diner. The good ol' days. Nothing like 4 hrs. of driving in a race.

My brother and I always joked that we've driven a hundred thousand miles with wet "Crouches". Timmy Seebold asked me once, "So, you were like my dad and Grandpa dring all night to sleep in the car to race the next day?" I said, "YES." Jimbo, Ernie Dawe, Ted May and me went to Vallejo, California once to race, when we left home we had no idea where "Valley Joe" was. We drove all night and most of the day Saturday to get there. I don't think we took a short cut becasue I know we went through San Jose on the was from SoCal....We raced for trophies....Goddam Submaine" came up in the middle of the course, we thought the Russians were attacking, we dove home by driving all night listening to Wolfman Jack.....We didn't race for money. We didn't race to be famous. We just "RACED". It was fun, we bowled Saturday night, there was only one day of racing, we knew about points but THOSE GUYS BACK EAST always won anyway.

In came the FACTORY WARS and the losers in this war was boat racing.

I wrote the MOD VP Rules, and nothing agains the Texas Group, I had never seen a VP boat when I wrote the Parker Rules......I has seen a Southwind, Sleek Craft with, as is known today, "MOD VP" bottoms. I wanted more boats racing the Parker 9 Hour than just Four Mercury Factory Boats and 1 or 2 Evinrude Factory Boats. I called MOD VP the OUTBOARD "DOOR SLAMMER" Class. As NASCAR, in those days, was called "THE DOOR SLAMMERS" as real race cars didn't have doors or starters.

Where MOD VP went WRONG in when Mercury made the BRIDGE PORT motor that was not for sale and OMC had some cools tuff of a "FEW". NASCAR ahs tried to keep speed in a safe range. NASCAR is in the business to make money. Mercury and OMC ENJOYED saying who would win with their product. When the final curtail call came, boith Merc and OMC wanted out before Yamaha KILLED them.

APBA is not about promoting boat racing, APBA is a sanction body......you are to promote boat racing if you want boat racing promoted. APBA has been the long arm of OUTBOARD MARINE and MERCURY for many, many years.

Anyway, my point, if you want to race boats today, you need to plan to pay to get to race. Spectators aren't paying enough to make boat racing profitable. It is your sport, you are going to have to pay for it.

My thinking is this, I don't mind paying, but I also want a say it what is happening! MOD VP was the best OUTBOARD CLASS ever, everyone I've ever talked to about boats know the term "MOD VP"

Post Thanks / Like

All throughout the 80`s i remember sleeping in the back seat on the way home because i had to be at work Sunday night at 12:00 midnight. some of those races in Mississippi and Alabama made me cut it real close but we was there at the next race anyhow. Those were the days.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

I got an Evinrude free in 1979 but then ran 3rd, that irritated Tom Ireland, so
    they sent it elsewhere after Havasu. Kenny Shaw won with his free Johnson,
    Bill Muncy/Art Carlson got the other free Evinrude.

Quote Originally Posted by 3030 View Post
    $2,200 of 1980 dollars would be worth: $6,128.13 in 2012

Thread Information