Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe G.Schulte

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe G.Schulte

Today, February 17, 2012 I was posting on Hydroracer.net with Joe John Schulte. I just did a search here on BRF and can't find a mention of Joe. Seems we could tell a few stories, factual and otherwise about Joe.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...t=23116&page=3

bill boyes

I have many.

bill boyes

Many do not know this
    Joe was a Captain for TWA and loved flying the Convair 880.
    Well, he was taking a 880 flight out of Tuson (TUS) to Las Vegas and the Controllers were on a slow down or something. So Joe files a VFR flight plan. (visual flight rules) out of TUS. Anyway Joe takes the 800 with passengers a tour of the Grand Canyon. Not just a flyover a TOUR.
    Just think if that happened today. Joe did not get off as he did get a few days on the beach.
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pops.

hey, Gang, It took me a minute to re-register on this site, but looks like I made it! I still have photos of dad and Ted May playing with their c hydros ON THE GROUNDS at LAX in a pond. they poured gas on the water, lit it and were driving their canvas decked boats through the fire....can you imagine THAT today? They would be all over the news!!! once they were released from jail, that is... WOW...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW...Thank you, Ron and Bill. I love remembering my dad and telling some of his stories. Thank you for this thread. Of course, most of my stories have to do with last 15 years or so of his racing career...I want to hear about the first 15. One story I DO know about has to do with he and my mom living in Cairo Egypt in 1955...It seems King Faruk bragged about owning the fastest boat in the country. It was some kind of cruiser that would go about 30...Dad smuggled in his B runabout. He got up early one morning and put it in the water in the Nile river. he buzzed around for awhile, and when he got back to where he launched, he was confronted by about 20 egyptian soldiers with automatic rifles pointed at him. They were convinced he was some kind of Israeli agent or something...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe Schulte and Ted May

No question in my mind, if Joe and Ted were around today, some of their "Antics" if that is the right word, would have them in JAIL for sure.

Ted May had had a "RUN IN" with the officials at Lake Perris, and for his punishment, he had to work on the judge's stand at the next race.

Well, the next race was on Sunday, January 1, 1961. (My brother figured there would be no football games on New Year's Sunday, and having a race, everyone would just his club, which I think was the Valley Speedboat Association. Actually, I'm not sure of the year).

Ted worked as the flagman all day, and didn't complain. Seems this was the first time I ever saw Joe Schulte. He had this yellow Rinker, with only a fin on the chine, and a three blade brass prop.

Seems we'd heard that Joe won the Winnebagoland Marathon (Joe John said 2 or 3 times)...Anyway, Joe went roaring down the first turn and turned that Rinker on its side and surprised everyone how fast it turned and how fast he went. Seems Joe might not have won this race, be everyone was really impressed anyway!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-28-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a great story, Ron. Joe Pater still has that boat in its original, condition. paint and all. Last time it was raced was mid 80's. Bill Pater was the first to qualify a yamato in the finals at the nationals and he used that boat.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you rejoined Joe John. I can sense some really great stories coming if you will continue. That "tour over the Grand Canyon" and the run on the Nile has piqued my interest as well as most others here I guess. I'm hoping you post more stuff here at BRF because this is where I think most people go to find out about boat racing history.

Would love to see some pictures.

bill boyes

Joe John, the Rinker is not original.. Your dad and I were pretty much side by side in CU midway up the backstretch at the San Diego Channel ! had the inside and was pulling Joe. One needed to keep that Rinker on the outside. Well Joe's steering pulley broke. The Ringer broched towards my boat and I ducked my head/body as low as I could and the boat grazeds the top of my helmet and hit the 30H dead center. The boat blew up into small pieces. The only thing left was the bottom. Ron Hill and Jimbo were right behind us. Really a nasty accident. Neither Joe nor I were hurt. .Your Dad fixed the boat but was far from looking like a Rinker I have a picture will post later..

bill boyes

Another Joe G story
    Joe,, Jack Seacrest and I were at a race at Modesto. We ended up at Lake Yosemite near Merced Ca. It was an inboard race and we had our outboards. Well. Your Dad also raced a 145 inboard and it was home Playa Del Rey ca (LA) so Joe calls Kathy your mother and the next morning Kathy shows up with the 145 with you and your sister. Your Mother drove all night with you kids so that your dad could race. But of course that was your Mother and she was like that your Father..

Thread Information