Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Karen "Sis" Cadle

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is fantastic Karen. The basement dyno episode is the epitome of what alky racing, and the need to find out how good their modifications worked is all about. I am sure there are many stories out there about racers testing their motors all hours of the day and night because I've heard a few. Thanks for sharing this one and the consequences. (Please no political commentary. This thread is about those days and times and how it was)

I didn't know that Jack Kugler had started racing that long ago until I was looking through some old issues of Roostertail the late Johnny Dortch gave me. I will see if I can find anything to add to your excellent thread.

BTW Ron.......good inspiration to get this kicked off.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up 1958 Rooster Tail page by page

Wayne,

I kept my original copy of the 1958 Rooster Tail. I donated the 1957 and 1959 originals to the 2007 Silent Auction. Kept 58' as that was the year I was born.

I can't remember the exact year Jack started Great Lakes Boat Company in Hamilton, but it would have been before 1961. During the 60's races were not only held at Quincy, but also Hamilton. Jack was racing well before 1961 with Papa Ross.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Sis"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Article featuring Dick and Jack driving for my Grandad

Picture and Article below
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Sis"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loren, Dale & Cliff --- 1961

Had a chance to catch up some with Loren & Dale in the past couple of weeks. Loren is sending me video of the 1961 race and others. Loren & Dale drove for us at various times and races, along with the others mentioned --- Jack Kugler, Dicky Pond, Tim Chance, Sam Hemp, and I'm pretty sure Bill Ela for some experimental test runs with Collins equipment.

It was always exciting when Loren, Dale & Cliff pitted beside us. I remember very well the bugle call to WAKE UP, by Dale on his trumpet, Loren holding his ears saying: "For God's sake Dale... it's day break, and the course isn't open"... Papa Cliff with a half smoked cigar chewing it and Gene Kozlowski on the plastic trumpet.

Loren and I weren't sure which course, or year it was where Dale was driving the Anzani (with 3 jugs, no less) conked out, THEN GOT the engine started and WON the race. We're not sure, but we think Dale might be the only driver to have ever started an Anzy IN THE WATER by himself on the course, and not only finish but win. We think he might have accomplished this at Springfield, Alex or at the Min-St.Paul race.

He also won a Championship in a DeSilva hydro.
    "Sis"

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm amazed!

It always amazes me that here on BRF the stories and sometimes tales of what we do and who we know. Such a case here as well, Not to steel the thread, but I never met Karen but we know the same people. I was around at these times and my hero of the time were Jack and rope King Gene, and others that are spoke about. Johny and Liz always called me the "Dirty Kid". I did not meet Gene until The worlds at Lk Alfred in 08 or 09. Me being the shy type and all it was a real honer to meet one of my hero's Gene East. As Far as Jack goes, I cannot remember the first time but it seems that we have always been friends. I have known the Christner family for many years. It will be a real honer to meet Karen. I met Wayne for the first time in 93 At Lakeland Worlds when I got cut up I 500 Hydro. Later I told him some of my stories to put a smile on his face. Gosh this is great stuff. Please keep the stories coming Karen, Steve

Allen J. Lang

Well young lady, between you and Wayne with your stories on experience are great and the reason I first go to BRF to see your postings. Great writting.
    Keep up the stories.

Thread Information