Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karen "Sis" Cadle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Karen "Sis" Cadle

I always called my sister. My sister s 81 years old (2012). Karen Cadle and I met at the 2005 DePue Reunion. I knew nothing about here, but clearly she had a B oat Racing background. I still don't know much about her or her background, but I wanted to start her own thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default History

I would like to know more about her too. I enjoy her post about the past, she seems to know a lot about Pro racing, tell us your story.

Allen J. Lang

Out with it young lady. We want to know.

Post Thanks / Like

53 short, or long years --- engine design, development, prototypes, performance racing was part of my informal education.

The best of family focused fun, travel adventures and the usual "near-miss" adventures which come with pistons blowing out the side of power heads, from a little too much Nitro in the hot fuel mix...

Bill Collins converting his law office basement into a dyno test tank area with the exhaust funneled up the chimney. There was no city ordinances regarding such... but it was just off the Macomb, IL town square, and when the beautiful sound (to us) of a Merc open stacks screaming and smoke routed up the chimney was misinterpreted by local business people who thought Bill was cutting people up with a chain saw in the basement and burning the bodies. 2 fire trucks and 3 squad cars later, and some pretty good chuckles later it was agreed to move the Dyno tank to the Horse barn just out of the city limits.

Back to History --- Ross & Sue Gibson

Grandpa Ross Gibson was a plumber by trade --- those that knew him well knew he was quiet, introspective, artistic, good humor and talented mathematician - logarithms, timing. A really good designer & "pipe bending" which he told me was honed at Kaiser Shipyard in Oakland, CA during the war.

They moved back to Illinois, the plumbing business started, or continued. Weekend fun was a small cabin on the Mississippi River where stock boats and boat engines quickly became modified and raced. Plumbing Shop and Nan & Pop's house basement.

The time period would have been 40's to early 50's. Jack Kugler would know much more about the early history. They been family friends as long as my memory goes.
    "Sis"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ross Gibson in 48X

Pontoosuc, Illinois - River Cabin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Sis"

Post Thanks / Like

Very young Dick Pond - Iowa Farm Boy (Keokuk) with Ross Gibson and ? Boat V 28
    "Sis"

Post Thanks / Like

I have known Karen since she was just a little girl.

Her Grandpa Ross Gibson and her unofficial step-father Bill Collins were racing boats before I got started.

Ross and Bill were Quincy Welding customers before I began working there. They also did a lot of experimenting on their own. My first memory of Bill was seeing him turning a piston on a lathe at QW on a Saturday afternoon.

We officially closed at noon on Saturday. However, it was not unusual for Chris to allow qualified customers to use the machines on Saturday.

Today, the insurance man would have a heart attack over such a policy.

Ross and Bill loved to play with nitro. They blew up a lot of motors but they also won their share of races.They had good drivers like Dale Klaus and Dick Pond. I'm not positive but perhaps Jack Kugler drove for them as well.

Make no mistake, Ross was a pretty fair throttle squeezer himself in his day.

Bill is a lawyer, but he had other interests in addition to the practice of law. Trying to build the fastest racing engines possible topped that list.

Bill represented me in a divorce back in the 70's. He used all types of legal manuvers to stall the proceedings. My wife finally gave up and came back home. Bill never charged me anything for his services. Thinking back; perhaps I should have had a different lawyer because she left again several years later.

This is where Karen enters the picture. When my wife came to the races, she sometimes brought her teenaged niece Tina along to help watch our small son Eric who is now 45 years old. Has it really been that long ago?

Karen and Tina became friends and we often stayed at the same hotels at race sites for the girls benefit.

This is probably when Karen started calling me "Uncle Gene" since that was what Tina called me. Now she calls me that because the only living relative she has is her brother and his family. The closest person short of her brother would be Bill Collins. Although Bill and Karen's mother Ann were never married, Bill treated her and her brother as they were his kids. I know he loved them and they loved him.

Karen really feels boat racers are her extended family. Wouldn't most of you agree, we really are family?

Where else would you find someone who would loan you a spare boat or motor or prop and then you congratulate him when he beats you with your own equipment.

Joe Rome quit drag racing cars because a competitor refused to loan him a timing light.

Thank God we don't see that crap in boat racing!

Karen has an on again off again relationship with a gentleman she calls "Rebel". Yes; I know his real name, but you don't really need to. Rebel is from her home town of Macomb, IL which is about 75 miles from Quincy. He may even be a high school sweetheart, I don't know.

I approve of him and I tell her all the time, she needs to tie the knot with him. So far she hasn't taken my advice.

Karen, you asked me to help tell people who you are. Hope you don't mind me getting so personal, and for what it's worth I'm proud to be your "Uncle".

For you BRF readers; let me tell you this, Karen is the real deal! She knows boat racing!
    She grew up in the pits. She's had her butt and everything else wet many times.

She knows the smell of nitro and she knows the taste of castor oil on your hands.

Bear in mind she also is a blond, and she is a typical blond. You'll find that out when you meet her at DePue. You will also see she truely loves boat racing and everyone involved in boat racing.

That's why I love her just as much if she was truely my niece by blood!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Cadle View Post
    and when the beautiful sound (to us) of a Merc open stack screaming, was misinterpreted by local business people who thought Bill was cutting people up with a chain saw in the basement and burning the bodies. 2 fire trucks and 3 squad cars later, and some pretty good chuckles later we agreed to move the Dyno tank to the Horse barn at the city limits.
    A perfect description of an open stack alky racng engine! Keep goin' girl!

Post Thanks / Like

Love this stuff Karen, please continue
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop Tails... and Tales from the Pits to be continued

//
    "Sis"

Thread Information